1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Consumption gas vs. diesel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ace56320, Jun 29, 2006.

1. ace56320

ace56320 LawnSite Member

I am considering switching form kohler's ch745 27hp engine to kubota's d902 25hp diesel, if I can save some money. Can any tell me what the gph ratings are on these engines?:confused:
  2. mowtech

mowtech LawnSite Senior Member

At maximum horsepower output--

Kohler CH745 27hp will burn approximately 2.2 gph
    Kubota D902 25hp will burn approximately 1.7 gph

Of course in normal mowing conditions both would burn considerably less with an increased fuel efficiency advantage to the Kubota engine.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

The cost over a diesiel to gas is high diesiel's run longer is it worth it seems breathing the diesiel fumes all day would give you a headache.
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

What I really want to know is why does these small engines burn so much fuel? My 350 hp camaro SS gets 31 mpg but a my 23hp kawi burns 1 1/2 gallons per hour? Something doesnt seem right here. I understand that my camaro isnt maintaining a 3,600 rpm engine speed but the smaller engines shouldnt burn so much fuel.
  5. probe1957

probe1957 LawnSite Member

I think that's a good question. I suspect it has to do with the power to weight ratio, but I have no idea.
  6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Why are my numbers giving me 1.05 Gal/hour on a 27HP Kohler air cooled?

I filled up the Z full & a 6 gallon tank at 250.7 HRS.

Now I just filled up again, the Z and the 6 gallon tank again and it was 18.349 gallons.

Now I have 268.1 HRS on the Z.

If i'm doing my math right, that means I used the Kohler for 17.4 HRS on 18.349 gallons which gives me 1.05 gal/hr???

What am I doing wrong?
  7. mowtech

mowtech LawnSite Senior Member

Probably nothing. Around 1 gallon per hour is a fairly typical average consumption rate for a Z mower. ProStreetCamaro's number of 1-1/2 gph seems high unless he is mowing in heavy conditions with a lot of hills. My number for the 27 hp of 2.2 gph is if the engine ran continuously at maximum horsepower. No one runs anywhere near maximum horsepower all the time.
  8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I am giveing an average. This 23 kawi sucks fuel down worse than anything I have ever owned. Its between 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 gallons per hour which is high IMO.
  9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

when I had the 27hp kohler with the triton exmark for the month it was using almost 2 gallons an hour, right around 1.75-1.8 gallons an hour.

28efi is using a hair under 1 gph, about .8-.85 I love it.
  10. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I switched from a 27/52 Super Z to a 28EFI/60 Super Z this year. I never measured the difference but it seems/feels like the 28EFI uses half of the fuel that the 27 did. I'm soooooooo glad I got the 28EFI.