Fuel Consumption: how much?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BSDeality, Aug 5, 2004.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I just punched in some fuel records from last week. how much have you used?

I'm a solo operator running 2 mowing days other business tasks on the rest of the week.

as of 7/29 i have used 115 gallons of equipment fuel for a total of $253.21 (with hiway taxes)

as of 7/29 i have used 329.29 gallons of truck fuel for a total of $679.10.

I'll be filling up tomorrow night tacking on another 12-15 gallons of equip fuel and 20-25 gallons of truck fuel.

I was shocked at how much equipment fuel i've used this year, i didn't keep accurate records last year, but this year has been a different story.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

as of 7/30 I have used 823.901 gallons of gas, and that is a solo op. Of course I just hired someone on the 21st of July but that doesn't make that much of difference in only 9 days

3. BSDeality

i should add i started running a Z about 2 months ago and just really got mowing 2 days about 6 weeks ago, before then i could do all my accounts in one day.

4. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you track your non highway use and get a refund on the road tax? We don't do much in the way of mowing and the sprayer doesn't use enough gas to worry about. But if you are using that much fuel over the year might be worth looking into.

5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

This year I have spent approximately $1500.00 for equipment useage and another $1500.00 for truck.

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

you can do that in Michigan

7. BSDeality

yes, you can do it in CT as well.

Lawnscapes, its statements like yours that are the decision makers in the diesel vs gasoline engine choice in truck buying. Next year i hope to cut my truck fuel use by 1/3-1/2 with a diesel instead of gasoline.

8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

you can get gas at a gas station without the tax. All you have to do is sign a paper

9. BSDeality

not here in CT or NY as far as i know. My snowmobile club in NY has a book at the registers of a bunch of gas stations, if you sign the book with the gallons you purchased the state refunds the road tax to the sled club

10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

about 1260 to the end of july, thats just mower gas, not trimmer/blower gas. Thats for 2 mowers, 72" and a 60"