Fuel Consumption

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by bowhunter135, Mar 26, 2008.

1. bowhunter135

bowhunter135 LawnSite Member

Since fuel prices have sky rocketed this year, I was wondering what the fuel consumptions of the different engines are. I have 3 mowers right now and I'm looking to replace one. Heres what I have right now:

23hp Kaw. 60in regular z
    27hp kohl. 60in super
    28hp kohl efi 72 super

I know the efi gets better fuel consumption but does anyone know the exact rate per hour? Plus what is the rate for the other engine options. I'm looking to get another 60.

Thanks

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

gph is going to vary so much by mower and by region and most of all by the conditions you are mowing in.
    Best results you are going to get is by averaging the rate out through a season or a good part of the season.
    I dont have any real world rate to give you on gph, sorry.

Pj

3. nick858

nick858 LawnSite Member

In our area, the gph rate was not that much better for the efi. We have a 27/60 super z and a 28efi/60 super z. I kept track of consumption last year, and put it this way, I bought two new 30Koh this year. The consumption we were saving with the EFI was less than .15 gph. At the average rate, it would have taken almost 4 years to pay the extra $1k for the EFI, and we try to trade every 2 years. I love the EFI, and am keeping the one I have, but on a gph basis, its not the complete answer here.

4. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

I can tell you that my soon to be 1200hr. 28/efi gets .75-.80gph @ 80%+ avg. throttle

5. Grassman08

Grassman08 LawnSite Member

Is Hustler Considering offering the Kawasaki 29 hp. DFI as an Engine option. I have seen where Exmark and Scag are offering this option? Just a thought.

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

As far as I know this engine is only available in the horizontal shaft configuration, we use vertical shaft engines in our mowers for gas engine options.
    We would have to redesign the mower around the engine.

Pj

7. Grassman08

Grassman08 LawnSite Member

First off, Thank you for your correspondence. I did not realize that that Kawasaki 29 hp. DFI. was a horizontal shaft motor, makes sense why Hustler does not offer it.