1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Consumption

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SproulsLawnCare, Sep 4, 2004.

1. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I read in another thread that one of the diesel mowers used app. 1 gal of fuel per hour. I have a new John Deere 757 and was wondering if anyone out there has any idea how much gas per hour these use app.?
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Fill it up and check the time. Each mower could and would be different. Different conditions and operators will make it change.
  3. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

A 757 at full power under load should approx take 1 gal. per hour. Thats your avg lawn not cuting a hay field.
  4. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure my Exmark LZHP with the 23 Kawasaki has averaged 1.624 gallons per hour since we got it new.

We have used 78.1 gallons divided by 48.1 hours
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

It should get better than that when it breaks in more. 48 hours isn't much yet. My mower with the same setup much better than that. When it was new it used more fuel though.
  6. Turf Dancer

Hey Hoss I sure hope it does better than that ! The dealer told me I could run 10 hours on both tanks and I think he was way off! Is it possible that the Ultra Vac is causing the crappy fuel economy ?
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, in that case the vac is causing a lot more fuel usage. I get close to 5 meter hours per side tank when not running the vac. During leaf season it does go up with the vac.
  8. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

28 EFI Kohler .7or.8 GPH. 31Briggs 1.3 GPH.
    60" 72"
    Both LAZER Z with about 50 hrs.
  9. Turf Dancer

I asked my dealer about the 28 kohler efi and he told me with a 60" deck about 1.3 gph, .8 is a lot better than what he was saying!

I wish the Kohler was liquid cooled/EFI
  10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess my 22hp Kohler is just a gas fiend.. It'll burn @ 1.5 gals an hr at "max" load, worst case scenario.. By worst case I mean cutting down 24" worth of St.Aug/weed growth in one pass.. A real workout.. I use that figure to estimate my fuel cost of operation.. when cutting normal growth, it does much better... :p .... And I STILL want a diesel...