1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fuel cost as percentage of revenue

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by garmel, Jan 27, 2010.

1. garmel

garmel LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

I'm just curious to know what other companies are coming up with on this..... What is your total fuel cost as a percent of total revenue? I'm reading 2-3% and we're almost 10%. Just curious to see.
  2. DaveOhio

DaveOhio LawnSite Member

We have run 2-3% of revenue for fuel the past 8 years. It went to 4% when fuel prices spiked in 2007. We have 2 lawn maintenance crews, an enhancemant crew, and installations crews. Four of the trucks plow snow winters.

We put between 5 and 10K miles on our trucks each year, lower than one might think.

Why do you think your fuel % is so high?
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, this is a bid one.

we run agg fuel. most of our time is spent off road. it gets trickey doing it this way,
    But to answer your Q were around 5 to 7%.

the writeoffs are HUGE
    were running around 140 to 150.00 a day in fuel cost
  4. Columbia Care

Columbia Care LawnSite Member

My total fuel consumpsion (Trucks & Equipment) was 13.1% of my revenue. Equipment was at 2.6% of total revenue.
  5. garmel

garmel LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

Not sure. Must be that I drive too much or I don't charge enough. I can try to change those. Another possiblity....I'm looking to see if there is a point where revenue growth and fuel cost become less proportionate. Does that make sense? I'm trying to see if fuel as a percentage of revenue falls as revenue increases.