1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fuel efficiency ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by diversified-1, Nov 26, 2004.

1. diversified-1

diversified-1 LawnSite Member

Who has the most fuel efficient diesel out there? Is it worth the extra initial cost over a gas powered unit? I am ready to buy a ZD21 Kubota 60" cut.

I would really appreciate a reply from Anyone who really checks their fuel consumption. :)
  2. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i have a zd18 it it very efficient. i think i figured it out last year an it was something like .45 cents an hour. i would never want to own another gas engine.NEVER. the kubotas are awesome machines i think you'll be very happy. i have 400hrs on mine not a single problem. good luck

the sad part is i think i'm going to be forced to buy a walkbehind next year. stupid(loud, gas guzzeling,break often)gas motors.

good luck
  3. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a chart on the Scag site that shows the liquid cooled EFI engines are far more efficent to a diesel or the engine they compaired it to. I'll look again to see if I can find it again and I get the facts. Later
  4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

We had deisels and they are fuel efficent and last a long time also ran cooler than gas engines. May not be worth the extra depending on how fast your equipment turns over. How often will you be replacing the unit?
  5. diversified-1

I figure on running this machine at least four years. My teenage son is picking up lawn care, while I am in the dozer-backhoe-dirt moving-heavy landscaping business in West Tennessee.

It's his money and he wants something worry free and the most efficent on the market- price is a secondary worry. Besides kubota has 24 mo. 0%....
  6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I'd say go for it then. Kubota makes great engines.
  7. diversified-1

I can't imagine a gas burner using less fuel than a diesel, fuel injected or not. That's why I wanted some unbiased true to life consumption rates from people who really use the equipment not an advertising Blah-Blah-Blah...