fuel filters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Charles, Sep 13, 2000.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

How often do you guy change your fuel filters? On my lazer owners manuel it says "as needed". On my other mowers i did it about every six months. But haven't had a set time. Maybe I should. Waddya think?

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I change all my fuel filters once a year. Usually right before the cutting season starts. I guess "as needed" means if you re-fill under dirty conditions, combined with the number of hours yo use it.

3. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

like bob said just change them in the spring before the cutting season gets underway and u should be fine:)

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Every 150 hours. I tried to make one last the whole season last year, by Sept the machine was in the shop for a no-start condition, main jet was plugged with doo-doo. Evidently the MTBE in our fuel hastens deterioration of the filter material.

5. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

I change my fuel filters whenever i change the oil.i go the car parts store buy and automotive 5/16inline and put it on
    couple qts oil,couple bucks for an oil filter,whats another
    2.50.....peice of mind oh oil changes at 100-125 hrs, hydro
    on my walker 15w50 mobil 1 every 250hrs...its only money you can't take it with you.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

BUSHMASTER wrote:

<b><i>peice of mind oh oil changes at 100-125 hrs</b></i>

I would be up all night wondering when my engines were going to blow if I changed oil every 100 to 150 hours. I average around 25 hours between oil changes and 50 hours on the oil filter. Since I use see-thru fuel filters I change them as needed. Usually twice a year.

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe you should scrap those Briggs and get a real engine. I change the oil in my Kohler Command 18 every 100-150 hours, maybe the filter if I have one, uses no oil, no repairs since I bought it in 96, 1500+ hours.

8. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Good one Bill! If you read this months Lawn and Landscape
    article about mower mainteance it says oil change every
    50-100 hrs. most of the time I change my fuel filter twice
    a season about every 175hrs.
    Good Luck!
    jerryslawnservice@home.com

9. Hello Everybody:

The way I did it was I went by the way the oil looked. Yes it might not make sense to some of you but when I look at that oil & it looks dirty, I changed it.

I very seldom went over 50 hours changing it. Just if it looked dirty I changed it. It's very cheap maintenance & gave me piece of mind.

Fuel filters, I also used automotive fuel filters & I changed about once a season, unless I had a fuel problem.