1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fuel filters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Roger, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

It is time for post season maintenance. I have some questions relating to multiple pieces of equipment.

However, the general question: What rating filters should be used? I see 28 micron, 70 (or 75) micron, and 150 micron are available.

I need filters for a Kohler 15hp Command, Pro series and a Toro 5.5hp Sizuki. The OEM filters never give the rating, only a part number. When I asked the dealer last year for a Toro part number filter, he threw a generic one on the counter. I am unsure of its rating. Since that time, I've seen others (and looking in Power Equip and J Thomas catalog) with the various ratings I mention above.

Obviously, the nipples need to fit the fuel hoses. But often the same filter comes with the ability to fit two sizes.

I think I've been running 70 micron filters (wasn't sure what I was buying at the time) on both engines. (white: 70, red: 150)

Also, I am wanting to put new filters on my Stihl equipment (FS85 trimmer, FC85 edger, HS80 hedge clipper, BG75 hand blower). I think they are all the same. Does the pickup unit (heavy weighted piece at the end of hose inside the tank) have an integral filter? Or, does a filter slide over the metal part? It looks like the entire unit is held onto the hose by a very small clamp -- looks to be a difficult replacement. How about the hose in the tank? Should it be replaced too? The equipment is 3-4 years old. Anybody with experience on this have some guidance.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I generally wear out hand held equipment before it ever needs a new fuel filter. Unless you are having a problem with them I wouldn't bother.

For the mowers I use Dixie Chopper OEM filters. I like them because they are large capacity and also double as a water seperator. I replace them annually.
  3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I second that motion, I wouldn't replace stuff like that unless you're having troublew with it. Now oil filters are a different story.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I replace mower fitlers (of course it depends on the hours) every 2 to 3 years, and 2-cycle I usually never replace. I have only replaced a 2-cycle filter once ever. And that was on a Stihl that was 4 years old.