fuel grade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by -, Apr 22, 2001.

1. Guest

prices are going up here in md I usually run everything on 89 octane but Im evaluating the benefits of buying a pricier gasoline vs. shortening engine life if I switched to 87 would the engine life span and cost of it be less than expenses on higher grade gas? what are the benefits of higher octane and how would a lower octane affect the engine

2. jrebeiro

jrebeiro LawnSite Member

I was told by my dealer not to use higher octane fuel in my mowers or other equipment.

3. Guest

just in the small engines and 2 cycle mix? why is that, what about for trucks

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have always used 87 octane in my truck, the gas mowers, and my 2 cycle equipment with no problems.

5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i was using 89 and the machines seem to run a heck of alot better, but i noticed that if i use 87 and feul stabilizer ever other fill up.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

ihaul with a ranger. i had about decidedi had to get more truck when i filled up w amoco 93. seemed to take all the strain out of it for the ranger and it handles it fine.
    as far as 2cycle engines i dont run anything but stihl mix and high test.since i began that i just dont have
    any trouble, and i dont use all comercial equp.