1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fuel is rising and being thoroughly gouged

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Gravel Rat, May 31, 2008.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I went to get fuel today and seen the price has gone up again :angry:

Now diesel is 5.55 a gallon in it was 5.40 only 2 days ago and 2 weeks ago it was 4.95 a gallon.

Looks like I will be raising my rates again and this time I don't care so now I'am minimum 100 dollars for any delivery within a hour. The hourly rate will be 75 dollars per hour. If people complain tough luck.

I can see the gravel trucks will be running at 150 per hour maybe 175 per hour.

Putting a 100 dollars into the truck barely does anything that lasts me about 310kms (192 miles).

If I had a decent Tidy tank I would be buying fuel from the bulk fuel supplier it would save me some money. Clear fuel is usually 5-10 cents a litre cheaper when you buy it in bulk.

A good way of killing the economy and ruining peoples vacations with high fuel prices. Who can afford to load up the camper in the P/U truck and head out camping.
  2. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I see the super high fuel prices are up your way in Canada also. It is a big rip off, they are raising fuel prices to see how far we will go. I hate when people blame in on our president since he has nothing to do with other countries fuel prices and obviously they are rising too. Once someone can make a vehicle that runs on something other than oil I bet you will see fuel prices drop below a dollar. Once another source of transportation is avalible to the public suddenly the oil countries will not have anything to offer anyone any more and they will go broke since they don't know how to do anything else other than pump oil from the ground and fight one another with no regret to nothing. They are nothing but animals that for wright now have the upper hand on everyone with the price of oil.
  3. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Good thing I live in this crummy old USA because the economy is good here and I can afford too pay increased fuel prices.
  4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Thank God for Dyed Farm Fuel!!! I have seen about 4 people that drive trucks with Tidy Tanks in the back, pulled over in a discreet secluded area, and casually stick their nozzle into the truck filler neck and just walk around the truck like they think they have a flat tire!! :laugh:
  5. Gravel Rat

Used to have a Tidy tank but it was worn out and I really can't afford or justify buying a new Tidy tank. I don't like carrying fuel in drums you always get some water in your fuel.

The biggest problem for us in B.C. it is the taxes on the fuel.

I know fuel is expensive all over the planet. I was watching on the news that fishermen in Spain have stopped fishing. Trucking companies in the UK are protesting the high fuel costs.

The oil companies say their is a shortage but they are making record profits.

Running dyed fuel isn't a big deal but when the CVSE inspectors are around if they suspect something they will dip your tank and get a slap on the wrist.

The bulk fuel supplier won't sell you marked fuel unless you can prove its for offroad or marine use. They can get in trouble if you get caught with marked fuel in a on road vehical and the CVSE can prove it was from the fuel supplier.

I'am going to phone to see what clear fuel is per litre if its a decent amount of savings I will take a 45 gallon drum and fill it up. It might not be worth it.

We don't have near the penalties on running marked fuel as you have in the USA because the Canadian gov't knows they already have got lots of tax off of that fuel already. In B.C. alone the gov't makes millions off of tax on the fuel. Then the gov't taxes a tax. You pay all the road taxes then you pay sales tax and gst on top of that.

Usually if you get caught with marked fuel you get a small fine and sent on your way. Only if you get caught again you may get a larger fine.

The fuel costs thou are going to affect the people with fixed costs where the profit they make lessens because they don't get paid more. With the construction industry etc that costs gets passed onto the customer. If the gravel truck rate goes to 150 dollars per hour for a 12 yard load of gravel will cost 300 for trucking and 400 for material. You take a average building lot will take 10 loads of material it will be 7000 dollars for that gravel.
  6. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

When I was pulled over in '05, the CVSE never bothered to check my tank, it's only the big trucks with the easy-to-see caps, when I had my deck swapped over to my new truck, I had my welder add some more length to the filler spout, it's real hard to even siphon fuel out of it let alone dip it.
  7. Gravel Rat

It depends on how **icky the ispector wants to be but I have heard they made diesel P/U trucks have the fuel filter taken out to see if they have been running marked fuel.

One of the gas stations in the area sniched to the CVSE that the contractors run marked diesel in on road vehicals so now any time the CVSE is here they are checked for marked fuel.

Now that has pushed the gravel truck rate to its current 100 per hour because the gravel trucks have to buy fuel from the gas stations. You figure 200 litres of fuel at each fill up it is 300 dollars now.
  8. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I got checked about a month ago in the scale house. My brother was just pulled over and check yesterday on a back country road that was so back road it doesn't even have lines on the road just tar and chip. They will check you anywhere now since prices are getting higher.
  9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I see more checks coming as well. I wont run the red fuel in my on road vehicles. It isn't worth it. I figure that if the difference between making it or not requires me to run red fuel than I need to sell my stuff and go to work for QPS (of course we would have to discuss trading in that CAT sh!t for real equipment).
  10. tbi

tbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I had a visit in my yard one day from the IRS. They wanted to stick my truck tanks. But I wasn't around and they needed my ID # and permission.:confused:

They haven't been back since. But if you do things on the up and up you have nothing to worry about. And now with the new trucks needing ultra low sulfur fuel off road fuel isn't even an option.

I work out of one of the most depressed counties in NY and people here don't whine nearly as bad as out neighbors to the north.:laugh: