1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Leak Toro Z153 W/23hp Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ogilville1, Apr 19, 2005.

1. ogilville1

ogilville1 LawnSite Member

Hello, I have a 2002 Toro Z153 mower with a 23 hp Kawasaki FH680V engine. I normally just clean off, park and shut down the mower when I'm finished mowing. Last night it developed a gas leak at what looks like a small plastic overflow or vent hose at the carb. When I turned off the fuel valve the leak stopped. I have never had to shut the valve off in the past to prevent it from leaking. It starts to leak within a few seconds if the valve is turned back on. Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like the hose/fuel line there is just rotted out or cracked and just needs replacing. Fuel lines on lawn equipment go bad all the time. I have replaced 2 trimmers and a BP blower lines already this year.
  3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

If it's coming out of the overflow tube, it could be a bad needle jet in the carb not seating all the way and allowing gas to keep filling the fuel bowl causing the overflow. Could be dirt or some other contaminant in there as well. Either way, keep the fuel shut off afterward until you get it looked at by your mechanic.