1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fuel level in Quick mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stbentoak, Jul 17, 2008.

1. stbentoak

stbentoak LawnSite Member

I have a Q 32 That I like very much, but one issue I have is I can never tell how much fuel is in it very well. When you look in the tank it is like looking into a black hole ..... Literally !!!
    Does anyone have a trick to being able to tell what the fuel level is in these mowers?

2. dakota2112

dakota2112 LawnSite Member

When it quits running, it's empty. :p

Scags do not have a fuel gauge either, so they're a black hole like that. I guess the idea is that if you just fill up at the end of the day, you'll never run out so you never need to worry about the fuel level.

I guess you could carry a dowel rod or something and use as a dipstick?
  3. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

i stick could always work or i just shake the tank or mower all together then watch for the movement
  4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Good thread - I have a Quick 36 and yes it is impossible to tell the fuel level in that black tank unless it is over 3/4 of a tank or so. Has anyone substituted the cap with a retro-fit simple fuel gauge on these machines?

Gary, how do you tell how much gas is in the tank? Got a trick?
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I just fill them up before I head out, always, a mower with a full tank should run all day and almost always does.
    The one time I know for a fact it might not make it is if I forget to refuel it, so just have to be religious about it, refueling to me is part of daily maintenance, I fill'er back up even if all it needs is a little.

Yup, refuel, swap blades, grease zerks, check tire psi's, check air filter pre-cleaner and replace if needed, check the oil, and so on. Takes me 30-45 minutes a day but it's well worth it, my mowers like to RMF on me far less this way.

Yes, I've noticed that, too.
    I have ran out twice in 6 years that I recall, maybe 3-4 times, but not a lot.

RMF: Random Mechanical Failure :p
  6. stbentoak

stbentoak LawnSite Member

And another similar issue I had was when tank was 3/4 full or more fuel would slosh and drip out of the neck. I had to have BP send me a new tank as the neck was ground wrong at the parting line and would not seal properly with the cap.. Leaked like a sieve......:dizzy:
  7. freedm2

freedm2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Me too. Just another quality control issue from the Quick.
  8. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

how about a pocket light
  9. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Mine never had a leakage problem, I have a 32..... but I know I can do 12 properties all being near the same in size, and then refill. It's easy to see when the tank is full.... so I fill it, count 12 mows, and fill it again.

As for quality - durabilty issues.... I've had none.
  10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Same here ... I have a Quick 36 Samurai and haven't had any problems with it !!