Fuel Lines Falling Off Into Tanks

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by joemoore034, May 28, 2008.

1. joemoore034

joemoore034 LawnSite Member
    from ozarks

I have a Gravely 260Z with 90 hrs and two years old. It stopped running and finally discovered that the gas lines on the inside of the tanks fell off into the tanks. My kid with his small hand is able to reach in and get them back on - but they just fall off again after some use. Does anyone know how to perm. fix this so these lines never fall off again?
    Thanks

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Having never worked on this model mower I can only go on what I have seen in other ZTR style mowers. Are the fuel pickup lines a hard plastic style tube and do they push into the fuel fitting and not over the fitting?

3. joemoore034

from ozarks

The lines are clear plastic -they slide over a brass fitting inside the tank. I cannot see how they attach because they are out of sight.

4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Usually the fitting pushes into a rubber grommet that, then gets pushed into the hole in the tank, you should be able to pull the fitting out and then the grommet. Sometimes they come out together, if it(fuel line) does slide over the nipple I would try a zip tie to help hold the line on, if you have room a small hose clamp or fuel line clamp but you may not have the space to get the line and grommet back into the tank with the clamp.

5. joemoore034

from ozarks

Thanks for the help - the dealer got back to me and that is exactly how they fix them - with a zip tie. Also the manufacturer got back to me and apparently they have a repair kit for this problem. They stated that with the new type of gas - it has been causing problems with the lines. Thanks again.