1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

fuel milage

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by portchop, Nov 12, 2013.

1. portchop

portchop LawnSite Member

I have a f250 6.0 2004 diesel and I was wondering if anything helped getting better fuel milage while pulling a trailor such as, putting a chip in my truck ,exhaust etc. i have the standard 16 foot open trailor.

2. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Light foot. Coast to red lights, and down hills. Check tire pressure once a month.

Instead of a 10w 30 check the owners manual and see if you can use a 5w 30.

Instead of having 3/4 ton. Have a 1/2 ton when it will do the job.

Having a small V8 instead of a large V8.

Keep weight down. I see many LCO's pulling 18' trailers with just a one WB mower.

Single axle trailer better MPG and their tires last longer.

Chips and other gimmicks do not work.

3. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually the chips work amazing. Gives you truck much more power and it increases it's efficiency by advancing the timing. A body with a chip will say its a great investment. Why would a single axle trailer tire last longer than 2 tires distributing the weight ?

4. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Silver Member

Mostly bad advice.

5. TTS

TTS LawnSite Senior Member

That's the truth. The first line about checking tire pressure and coasting is good. For the most part any quick fix to build more power (chip, exhaust, intake) will improve your fuel economy. You may or may not ever make up the cost of those modifications in fuel savings however they will improve your economy. The basic premiss of that statement is that you make more power therefor the engine isn't working so hard to perform the work. I'm not sure what all they had in 04 but on Diesels for the most part the more EPA crap you can get rid of the more economy you'll gain. There is a fine line where you add more gizmos (cams, bigger turbos etc) and start losing economy because the engine is using more fuel just to keep itself running.

Another point to make is that the biggest killers of all big trucks is weight and aerodynamics, improve on either of those and you will see significant gains.

6. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

If it were anything but that 6.0 diesel I would say program away. With that engine let it be unless you have deep pockets or feel lucky.

7. BCL Services

BCL Services LawnSite Member

6.0 diesel ......ugh... I just threw up in my mouth. That motor can be very costly, mine sure was. I would run away from it as fast as you can. Really, in my opinion if your pulling a trailer you aren't gonna see good gas mileage. It sucks but it is just part of doing business.

8. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Can you run a cover over the bed. A friend of mine picked up 1mpg improvement towing just doing this. Chips are risky, try an intake and exhaust before you chip it for sure

9. Grant11

Grant11 LawnSite Senior Member

Sticking to your original question: I've seen a 6.0 get good mileage with a programmer/intake/exhaust. Programmers can make a huge difference with diesels but they really work best with free flowing intakes and exhausts. I've seen a lot of guys with the 6.0 go for the SCT programmers. You can find package deals online http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/package-deals/03-07-powerstroke.htm

side note: It seems all 6.0 are time bombs and you may want to consider if modifying is worth it

10. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I forgot to mentioned I averaged around 14-15 pulling around town regardless of the trailer and it was about the same unloaded too. You can take it to Ford and make sure it is up to date with the flash on the engine and transmission too. You can also mention the poor mileage.