Fuel mix ratio?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by ron mexico75, Apr 1, 2014.

1. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

So I was getting ready to buy some more 2 cycle oil. I was reading online where someone posted this;

2.6oz = 50:1 ratio
    3.2oz = 32:1 ratio
    Perfect for a two gallon gas can at 32:1 ratio which is where I rung all my stuff and it does not clog up or foul plugs. Works great at that ration and protects better. If you put in a little to much gas your are just moving closer to the 50:1 ratio but not hurting your engine.

So the size of each unit is perfect for a two gallon gas can, just poor and go!

Is their any truth to this and does it make sense? Or, are you looking for trouble by doing this? I thought it was always best to follow what the operators manual said to do which is 50:1.

I ask because I have already had an issue with a brand new back pack blower and a 2 year old trimmer. I had left fuel in both over the winter but it had some stabilizer in it. Apparently that wasn't good enough because the trimmer took about 150 pulls to start and the BP blower kept "coughing" at wide open throttle.

Ended up putting in new plugs, fuel filters, dumped old fuel, added that premix echo stuff that's 93 octane, ethanol free, with stabilizer. Ran a can through each unit and they run fine now.

Just trying to prevent future issues. Can't afford to spend $8 dollars on 32oz of fuel for everyday use.

2. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Just use amsoil saber with higher octane or regular. You can run that at 100:1. I run it at 80:1 though just for the ease of mixing. Half bottle for 2.5 gal. can.

3. ron mexico75

Hmm, I'm not familiar with that stuff. I mean, I've heard of it but have never seen it anywhere for sale. Does it come in the samll bottles for 2.5 gallon mixes? Or, do you have to measure it out?

How about this stuff?

http://www.redarmoroil.com/

4. ashgrove landscaping

Yea it comes in 8 oz bottles. Half bottle to 2.5 gal. For 80:1. As simple as it gets. $5 a bottle. So you get 5 gal. Of mix out of it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. ashgrove landscaping

I'm sure it's pretty good but amsoil is the premium. Any auto parts store sells it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. ron mexico75

I don't know, I've checked Napa, Advance Auto, and Autozone and can't find it. The only place I can find it is on the Amsoil website to buy.

I'm not sure I understand this. If you use the Saber oil you don't have to run 50:1. You are actually running 80:1 or 100:1?

7. ron mexico75

Also, here is a mix xhart from their website. How do I make 2 gallons of mix or better; 2.5 gallons of mix?

With Echo oil they sell it in 2.6 oz bottles to make a gallon mix and 6.4 oz bottles for 2.5 gallon mix.

Amsoil comes in 1.5 or 3.5 bottles but the chart doesn't show a mix using those bottles...... I don't ever need more than 2.5 gallons at any given time.

Attached Files:

8. ashgrove landscaping

Yea that's right. Just ask napa to order it

my napa carries it.

9. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

10. ron mexico75

So what do you add to a 2.5 gallon gas can? That's the amount I like to carry, 2.5 gallons of mixed fuel.