Fuel petcocks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Jan 15, 2004.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

The engine manufacturers recomend that you turn off your fuel petcocks overnite. Do you? Has anyone damaged your engine by not following this rule? tell us about it

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

What is a fuel petcock? Shutoff switch? If so, no i dont ever shut it off unless im working on the carburator or something.

3. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

I know someone that had a float stick in the carb. and the gas kept draining down into the cylinder and blew up next time they tried to start up. That was on a Dixon with a B & S engine. They were told they should have shut off the fuel.

4. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

That's what I love about this site, you guys are asking the same questions that I am.

Just yesterday, my dealer called to fill me in on one of my mowers he was working on. (Last freebee before the warranty is up). He said that the was changing the oil and it looked a little "thin". He asked if I was shutting off the fuel before transporting it or storing it overnight. I guess the fuel can somehow mix with oil if you transport it with the fuel petcock on? I've only shut the darn valve off when changing the fuel filter....

Anyone ever heard of this?

:confused:

B

5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, the valve that turns your fuel off.

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

On occasion I will shut mine off on my powerseeder while in transport, but other than that....no and never had problems.

7. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

i only shut mine off when working on carbs.

8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

WE had a three wheeler that the cylider fillup with fuel over night and we couldn't even get it to turn over the next day. Thought it had siezed up. We always shut the fuel off on it after that. I usually only shut my mowers off after the last lawn of the day, or if traveling a little farther. Not all the machines even have a fuel shut off. Or at least on that you can reach.

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

same here.

GEO

10. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

I have a 36" Bobcat WB and it once started going KAPOW when I pulled the rope. I spoke to the dealer about the problem and the first question he asked was "do you shut of the gas when not in use?". Of coarse I said no. I turn it off now overnight and in transit and guess what, no more kapow. Now I shut off the gas on all gravity feed machines. BTW, they say the gas can seep down into the crankcase and literally blow up the motor, not a pleasant thought.