1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fuel prices hurt now

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare18, Nov 15, 2007.

1. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Guys.. Idk how oyu do it.. I just do this part time.. but come on I know you raise prices etc.. but theres a time i see coming where people just cant pay anymore then they do.. gas is 3 30 diesal 360 370.. .. prices form just milk to a bagel jumping up.. it is scaring the **** outa me and I only do this part time.. its out of control in my opinion... if gas hits 5 bucks a gal ill be riding a bike to work..
  2. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

time to raise prices
  3. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

raising everyone $5 next year,
  4. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

my plowing contracts all have a clause for if gas gets over $4.00, there will be a 5% increase in billing. That doesn't completely cover the increase in prices, but it will help. Next spring, all my mowing contracts will do the same. The big oil companies are probably the only business in the world that can raise prices by 15% per week, and not lose business. If you or I tried that, we'd be fired by every one of our customers.
  5. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

The customer base I have knows that everything is going up in price. I price my work accordingly. I havent raised prices on any of my customers since I have started. I have had most of clients raise their own prices however. I will price accounts this coming year to what I think is a good price to do them even if gas goes to five dollars a gallon. Raising prices is a good way to cut your own throat especially in the spring when you have everybody starting a "landscape business" and lowballing. I just pick up around 5 to 10 more and wait till they start their poor work and pricing thier selves out of business then I come in and take over at a higher rate. By then the customer is happy to pay the higher rate because your there when you tell them, your polite and positive, and they know that their yard work will get done the way they want.
  6. BFLL

BFLL LawnSite Member

15% its more like 200%

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

One of the unexpected side benefits of charging a flat rate per month is, I discovered that since I typically miss or skip a cut or 2 (or 3 or 4 or more) each year, I can keep those customers at the same rate.

The ones still on the per cut plan, I raise those in mid-season...you raise them in March/April then you're up against the 20 other LCOs a day that they get flyers from.
  8. B. L. Landscaping

B. L. Landscaping LawnSite Member

going to raise prices for mowing and put a fuel surcharge if it gets any higher. I heard diesel could hit $4.50 it is already $3.50 now. Biodiesel is also the same as regular I thought it was to be a little cheaper.
  9. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

Guess everyone was wrong when they said we were going to Iraq for oil.

Haven't seen any Iraqi gas at my local station. You?

Yeah, the price of fuel is just craptacular right now.
  10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

W didn't plan on the Sunni and Shiite fighting over oil revenues and sabatoging the pipelines/oil infrastructure. Oh ya they didn't plan on anything:rolleyes:
    I will have to go up on my rates next year. I didn't this year