Fuel Problems?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NORTHMAN, Apr 6, 2007.

1. NORTHMAN

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I've been having problems(not starting)with some of my equipment,the dealer says it's the new fuel formulation,has anyone else had problems?

2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i have heard a new additive in fuel eats away fiberglass fuel tanks in boats, having lots of prolems with vessiles

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I use Premium 93 unleaded, fewer problems, but yes the ethanol is crap.

4. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

problems with what starting? sounds like a quick diagnostic

5. NORTHMAN

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Not starting at all.

6. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Are these 2-or 4-cycle engines? Someone not associated with this forum recently told me that mixing STA-BIL with the gas helps in starting. I had only used it in the past for gas that I knew would be stored for several months before I could get around to using it, but he said it's also good for engines that balk at starting. I don't have any like that, so I haven't been able to test this idea. He claimed it worked for both 2 and 4 cycle.:confused: Maybe you'll want to try it.

7. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

you have to keep cleaning the carbs out, I had to clean my walk behind last year twice because it was surging, I've been told by a local dealer its happening to everyone using the new ethanol mix....cost more but you have to burn a higher octane

8. cks dad

cks dad LawnSite Member

I use stay bil in everything.For storage and also a fuel addititve. Have never had a fuel problem yet. And my kees wb is a late 90s model

9. tjhocraf

tjhocraf LawnSite Member

Impliment dealerships have been saying w/ new emmision standards,fuels are going stale and varnishing faster. They have had fuel go bad in two weeks if it was in a semi-clear fuel tank on thier lawn mowers. The best solution accoring to them is a good quality fuel stabalizer in your gas. No matter how quickly you are going to burn it. Don't blame ethanol blends.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

We used a form of ethanol in MD for years before it became a nationwide thing. We did have a lot of trouble with starting and keeping equipment running occasionally. We never did find a good way to avoid it. With the fuel that I have in NC I have had zero problems and everything (including my truck) seems to be getting better mileage.