fuel pump

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by newblade, Jan 28, 2006.

1. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

I just got a 22 hp kohler rebuilt and put it back on my exmark and it will not hit a lick. I feel like it isn't getting any fuel, I pulled the feed line off of it and it is got gas going through it, but the other two lines are bone dry. It worked fine before I took it off though?????? It doesn't look like it has anything that plugs in anywhere, ANY IDEAS?:dizzy:

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Pour a tiny bit of gas in the carb and see if it starts. If it does you have a fuel problem. Did you turn the gas valve off at the tank at some point?

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen too many times where people put the fuel pump lines back on improperly, Below is a picture of the proper connection. Also you may check the fuel cut-off solenoid on the bottom of the carb. (if equipped) for proper operation.

Attached Files:

4. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

You were exactly right, I had the fuel lines wrong, but it still will not start, I can take the air filter off and see gasoline in the carb so I know that it is working now, any more ideas on what the problem could be?

5. Restrorob

Well, Have you got spark ? Do you have compression ? Did you get the wiring harness hooked back up to the engine properly ? Just a few more things to check into.
    You say it was rebuilt, Exactly what was replaced and I take it that the rebuild was done by somebody else correct ?

6. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

I am not sure about spark, I had the short block replaced. How would I check for spark? I am not a great mechanic. I do believe that everything is hooked up correctly. I hear the click of on when you turn the key, I had to replace a bad switch one time that was not allowing it to click on.

7. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

I do not believe that it is firing, I pulled the spark plugs out and they smelled like gas, I know your thinking flooded but I think no spark. What would cause that? Everything worked fine before.

8. Restrorob

Again there could be a couple things, Did you put a plug back in the plug wire and hold it to a ground area on the engine and crank it over to confirm there is no spark ? It's possible the air gap on the coils were not set properly or the ground (kill) wire from the coils was pinched during reassembly. Does this engine have the Smart-Spark ignition system ? If so make sure you are getting battery voltage to it. Make sure your harness connectors are good and safety switches on the unit are working properly.

I learned many years ago with anything electrical, It can work one second and not the next, And sometimes it can be a pain in the ars to figure out why.

9. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

I noticed that there was a red wire that was sticking out the side of the motor that was not there before, I am guessing that it controlled the smart spark module, I run a wire from the hot terminal on the battery to it and it cranked soon as I turned it over. Is it safe to run a wire straight from the battery to the module?

10. Restrorob

No, That red wire is supposed to be hooked into the ignition switch so power goes to the module when the switch is in the run position only. I would not wire it directly to the battery. Find the wire thats hot in the on position only and tie into it with the red wire. When the engine is not running you do not want power to the module.