Fuel Question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wbkuhler, Mar 15, 2003.

1. wbkuhler

wbkuhler LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any preference between regular unleaded fuel and ethanol blend fuels?

I have heard some negative things on using the ethanol blends in vehicles but it is just hear say.

I have a 27hp liquid cooled Kaw and was wondering what the best fuel is to use in it.

Don't want to use something that could have ill effects on the engine in some way.

Thanks for any comments!
  2. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

I use good old straight 89 octane in all my equipment, even in 2cycle mix. No problems after 4 years, so I'm not about to change.
    Kawi, Kohler, Honda, Stihl and Echo motors. That's me, I'm sure other have their own opinions.
  3. Lawn277

Lawn277 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I try to stay away from ethanol in equiptment. It burns hotter and is hard on valves. Most small engine manufactures do not reccomend ethanol. As for as the trucks, the cheapest is fine by me

4. Haley Lawn Care

Haley Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from NC

I use straight 87 octane in the mowers and 89 octane in all my handheld equipment. Your manual should have the recommended octane rating for your engine.

5. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I had been running regular 89 octane gas in my equipment for years, and had my share of what I assumed to be "normal" fuel problems, especially with 2 cycle equipment.

On the advice of 2 different trusted equipment dealers/mechanic I switched 2 years ago to nothing but premium gas in all of my equipment...92 octane. I have seen a big improvement in the way things run. Cleaner, smoother, and way less problems with my 2 cycle equipment.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
  6. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

What is ethanol fuel and where can you get it? No sure if i've ever heard of it?
  7. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

my equipment dealer/repair shop has recommended that i use mid grade for all of my two cycle hand held stuff. so i've just been running it in everything for three years, no fuel problems. this year i've thus far dropped to the regular grade to help offset fuel costs. i'm having second thoughts on this after reading westbrooklawns post. higher fuel costs = less money for me, equipment that wont start on the job= no money for me. i have other ways of offsetting without risking my equipment . ~scaper~
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Just for the unsuspecting purchaser of fuel. If your fuel is oxygenated then you are buying fuel with a percentage of alcohol in it. This includes MTBE. Engine manufactures generally allow up to 15% MTBE and 10% alcohol by volume.
  9. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard that if you use any fuel that contains "achohol", in any form, in 2 cycle equipment you run the risk of seizing the engine. The reason is because the achohol will not mix with the oil. For this reason I use only preium gasoline in my 2 cycle equipment. If you use regular it may contain up to 10% achohol and they are not required to list it as an ingredient when it is less than 10%, so I have heard. The premium blends cannot achieve the octane rating with the achohol in the fuel so it is safe to use. I don't know if it has any effect or not but I don't have any problems with carbon buildup on any of my 2 cycle equipment. I have gone several years without having to remove carbon from my trimmer believe it or not. I've checked it but there is none to remove.
  10. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

I use nothing but ethanol, and have for years, no problems. If anything a little less chance of gas line freezeup in winter. Two reasons, its about 2 cents cheaper and we are in the middle of ethanol country here. It is made from corn and the ethanol industry has helped corn prices significantly. Also corn farmers don't support terrorrists.

The State is considering requiring that all gasoline sold here be at least 10% ethanol. The big push now is for E-85 85% ethanol. A lot of the newer vehicles can use either. For older vehicles they are suggesting blending at the pump to run at about 30% ethanol.

For diesel, I really like Soy-Diesel that is made from soybean oil. The trucks get better mileage and don't seem to work as hard.

Austreim Landscaping