Fuel Question

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by KTNC, Jul 7, 2003.

1. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

I recently posted a question on LS about 2 cycle fuel recommendations... It seems most manuals recommend 89 or higher, which is somewhat unclear... I have a Lazer 25/60 Kohler, and am wondering if Exmark recommends running 93 octane gas. Kohler manual stated 87 or higher.

I guess my question is, is 93 too high, can these air cooled engines be damaged with it?

I also posted that recently I put a tank of 93 in a Briggs and Stratton engine that had previously only had 87, and now it seems to run rough, and belch black smoke, just wondering if the different octane gas is responsible.

Thanks.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

KTNC,

Thanks for the post.

Per Kohler running a higher octane won't hurt anything. The engine should run fine on 87 octane however there are those who swear by the premium grades of fuel.

I had a guy in MI a few years ago who would use nothing but high test and felt that it made enough difference in the performance and fuel economy of the engine to justify the added expense.

One thing I would be certain of is to NOT use ANY additives or boosters. In the past both Kohler and Kawasaki have referenced issues that can occur from additives in both oil and fuel.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks

Terry

3. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

So additive or boosters should be used??

4. eXmark

Sorry guys,

I corrected the post. Leave out one little word (not) and the whole paragraph doesn't make much sense.

Kohler and Kawi both dislike the use of additives.

In a word I would not use any fuel additives unless a qualified technition recommends it.

Thanks

Terry

5. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

What about a fuel stabilizer to help remove any condensation that might get into fuel?

6. eXmark

Kerry B.

As with any additive there are pluses and minuses. The engine manufacturers focus on the minuses for good reason. They don't want to recommend something that can damage the engine.

Many of your fuel additives that help eliminate, reduce on control water levels in fuel are high in alcohol. Too much alcohol can be a bad thing. There are other types of fuels additives and I'm not an expert. I do know that both Kohler and Kawasaki have voiced concerns regarding additives. They are the engine experts so I've got to go with what they have to say on these issues.

Thanks

Terry

7. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Terry