1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Shut Off

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNGODFATHER, Jan 10, 2003.

fuel shut off

1. Shut fuel off

22 vote(s)
  2. Never shut fuel off

64 vote(s)
  1. Well?

If you want to explain situations post it.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Do mowers have fuel shutoffs???
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I always shut w/b mowers off. Always. I've had 1/2 a tank of fuel run thru the carb and into the crankcase. Since most w/b mowers are gravity fed, if the slightest piece of trash or even a manufacturers defect can cause a problem. It is a habit for us now. Never even thing about it. Lock the brakes, turn the fuel off. Mowers with fuel pumps are not gravity fed, so this is not really a problem.

Also, if a manufacturer is looking for reasons not to warrenty something, they can use that to their advantage. You didn't do what the manual said.
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

right or wrong I never shut mine off. but I'd start turning it off if I had a problem.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That is something that I've just never done. I know that there are situations and certain machinery that actually sort of require it, to keep the bowls from overflowing due to gravity feed, but these are not common cases.
  6. Acorn

Acorn LawnSite Member

Knowing me, if I shut it off, the next day I would spend an hour trying to figure out why it wouldn't start
  7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

The old Robin BP needs to have the shut-off valve used religiously.

As for mowers I just dont see the necessitity when your machines on the trailer for 3-5 minutes an hour???

I suppose for those guys who are Metro Mowers that travelling major hy-ways and bi-ways might make a difference trailering but were just good ol country folks up here at the stem of the big apple -LOL.

Must be a "Rave" thing huh Mike??? LMAO!!!
  8. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I never do shut the fuel off, all 3 of my big mowers have shut-offs to. I've thought about on the cub tank model to shut the fuel off on which would be the down hill side, prior to doing this one job I have with a steep portion, for counter balancing, maybe next year I'll try it. Also we have 2, 2002 polaris quads they say to shut the fuel off to.
  9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

10. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with 65 hoss on that one, I also shut my fuel off on my w/b.