Fuel sipping Z riders?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Im getting ready to add another mower to the fleet. Its going to be another 60" z rider. My basic choices due to dealers is badboy,john deere, bobcat, husqvarna & Hustler.

Most important to me is fuel. My 60" bobcat with the 23HP kawi has been awesome on fuel for the last 4 years. Its got over a 1K hours so I feel its time to make it a backup mower. I would say it gets right at an hour per gallon of fuel. I would like to find something similar.

How are the bigger motors on fuel? anyone have a chart on fuel consumption with the newer motors? Back when I got this mower 4 years ago the biggest motor was the new 30HP big block vangard & the 31HP generac
    I was told by the dealer that the generac was the best on the market for fuel & power...best bang for your buck and he had never had to replace or do any major work outside of warranty covered work.

2. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Personally I don't care much about mower fuel consumption, as long as the tanks last a full day.

Big diesel motors are the most efficient. Nosparkplugs will tell you all about it.

Liquid colling on a gas engine will lover consumption. Even more with fuel injection, though it's a tad expensive.

The worst reports I've heard were for the 34/37hp vertical kawa. People claiming 1.5-2.0gph.

3. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not get another Bobcat??????

4. Linder'sLawnCare

Linder'sLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Go with diesel or LC Kaw. I know Kaw tends to be better on fuel. My 21 kaw gets abt .8 gallons per hour.

5. Bunton Guy

I never ruled out the bobcat....not yet.
    The dealer that has the hustlers has bobcat.

6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Are you talking about Whitley in Monroe?

7. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

Kawi 29 DFI.

8. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

My Woods (Bobcat built) with 33hp Generac and 61" deck burns 1.3 gallons per hour. Puppypaws can vouch for it's power--it smoked a Bad Boy 28hp Cat in high grass. And, the Generac-powered Predator Pros go faster than the Kawi-powered mowers, according to manufacturer specs. I saw in a previous post by Puppypaws that Whitley's has a diesel Hustler Super Z at a great price. That would be good on fuel, and I like a Shibaura diesel. Shibaura makes the smaller Case IH Farmall series tractors and New Holland Boomer tractors.

9. Bunton Guy

Yes that's where I get most of my parts if I don't get them online.

10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

How about the Hustler with the 28 EFI Kohler?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009