fuel stabalizer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigt, Jan 20, 2004.

1. bigt

bigt LawnSite Member
    from wva

do you need to drain the fuel or just use it?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I would say that you need to add the correct ratio ounces to gallons and run the engine for a while to get the stabizer into the carb, I always try to add a fuel stable aid to the last 5 or 10 gallons of gas when i buy it and then all my equipment has it in the gas and in the system

3. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

I do just before winter,and all year in things i use periodically.

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Just use it...if you are unsure how much fuel is in your tank you can add more than what you think you have in gas. At least with Stabil you can do that. Also make sure you agitate it to disperse thru your fuel and make sure to run the engine long enough to ensure that it has reached the carb or you will have done all for naught.

5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I use it all winter long in the snow blowers. I'm always afraid that water is going to get in the gas with the snow and all, can't hurt to run it just in case.

When winterizing for the season, I add it to the tank and let it run. My dealer claims that stihl puts a stabilizer in it's oil mix and that my 2 cycle stuff doesn't need the stabilizer, but I always add it in there too.

My next door neighbor last year was trying to run his snow blower dry at the end of the winter. He left it on and running in the driveway for like 3 hours.

6. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Just mix it according to the instructions, and then run the engine for 5 minutes. The back of the container explains everything.

7. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

I use stabilizer year round in all my equipment. Makes for quicker starting among many other benefits - and the cost is peanuts.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

same thing that MTD does is what I do.

9. idugaholez

idugaholez LawnSite Member

i run AMZ Oil stabilizer all year long. I use less than what they recomend in my gas cans, but n the winter, i run the proper amount through every ting.

doug

10. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

Tanaka has it + one mix does all 2 cycles