1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Stabil questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Sep 13, 2004.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

1.) Are there seperate fuel stabil products for 2 stroke versus 4 stroke engines?

2) Can I run fuel stabil through everything the last month of working the equipment or just when i put it away for the winter?
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I use Sta-bil in everything. I have had problems with gas going stale on me in less than two-weeks, so now I use it year round. If you read the label, it makes no difference 2-cycle or 4-cycle.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use a product called "sea foam'' . It is mainly for 2 cycles but if you read the can it is good for both. I use it some all year round as it is good for cleaning the carb out and helps to keep down on water in the tank. But yes I would mix some form of stabil aid the last month of working in all my gas so it has time to work its way in the system before winter
  4. rredogg

rredogg LawnSite Member

It's just my preferance but I use "Sea Foam" in both two and four cycle engines. It's a stabilizer and also also has conditioners that keep your engine running clean. Got that from my STIHL dealer. 1 OZ per gal.

5. harrydog

harrydog LawnSite Member
    from ohio

6. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

we use stabil in our equipment all year.
  7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

All fuel gets treated with a fuel stabilizer. Anything that can/does prevent issues is used to save me work or down time. It is too cheap and easy not to be using a fuel treatment product!

8. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I've been told that many of the better brands of two-cycle oil (Stihl being one of them) have fuel stabilizer in them.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Local dealer says use 89Octane and Sea Foam.....2-cycle oil don't include all additives you need. This is for applications running 6-7 hours of run time each day.
  10. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

So does the Tanaka 2 cycle oil. Been using it for 5 years, never had a problem with stale gas in the 2 cycle engines. Around here they will sit for upto 5 months.