fuel stabilizer.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Skeelow, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Skeelow

Skeelow LawnSite Member

Newbie/ part timer doing a few accounts next year. Bought my Q36 this fall to save money. Only got just over 3 hours on it this Nov/Dec before I had to store it away for winter. My questions

1. In the manual it says for long term storage add a fuel stabilizer. What is this? Is this the same as the STP gas treatment I sometimes use in my car or something else? If its something else, give me a brand name and where to get it.

If adding the fuel stabilizer, should my tank have close to a full tank of gas?

Thanks for your help.

2. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I use fuel stabilizer by the name of "Sta-bil" or something like that. It is sold in hardware stores, lawn equipment stores, etc. It comes in a dispenser container that tells you how much to add per gallon of gas.

I top off all my stuff with gas, then add stablizer per the instructions. I add it to all the gas left in the cans, too, just in case. I then run the machine for a while to get the stabilized gas into the carb and fuel lines. I add it to my mix gas, and do the same. Some 2-stroke oil has stabilizer already in it, so you may not need more there.

Others will tell you to drain your equipment and run it dry. The manual will tell you what the factory thinks is best for your machine.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I agree Sta-bil or either Sea foam........both are great products. I would do as Hackitdown says also

wayne