1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

fuel stabilizer

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Mark Cook, Nov 1, 2001.

1. I agree with john

I do exactly like he does and start adding stabil just before the end of the season.

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I use Stabil in everything. As a matter of fact my Grasshoppers came with Stabil in the tank from the factory.

3. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I also use stabil for all of my equipment and it starts up in the spring after a cold winter like I had used it everyday in the year.It's a great product. Inever knew that echo and stihl mix had stabilizer in it. Hey G & S Landscaping, what part of cleveland are you from? Just wondering?

4. jerry johnston

jerry johnston LawnSite Member
    from SE MN

I live in Minnesota, and I use Stabil for all my lawn mowing equipment. I also put Stabil in my boat gas tank at the end of the year. I have never had a problem.

Follow the directions on the label!!

Jerry

5. danzig

danzig LawnSite Member

I used to run my equipment out of gas then put them up. Had problems with getting them to start in the spring. I think the gaskets or something like that inside the carb would dry out and shrink over a 3 month period. I now use sillverstreak gas preserve in all my equipment before i put them up for winter. I tried storing my pump engine with gas but i forgot the preserve. Last spring that carb had a varnish all inside of it. I cleaned it out but it still won't idle.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

My solution is to use Amsoil 100:1 synthetic oil in the mix, fresh 87 oc gas, stabil mixed per the label (rhymes too) and I fog out the carbs on all of the 2 cycle equipment.

Absolutely no fuel problems in the spring and they all start in 2 or 3 pulls. It works for me.

7. lawnjob

lawnjob LawnSite Member

Sta-Bil is the best stuff since sliced bread. Be sure and run it enough to bring it into the carburetor. ( you'll smell it) After years of removing , disassembling and cleaning carbs on my buddies motorcycles, snowmobiles, lawn mowers etc. I now hand out 32 oz. bottles of Sta-Bil like stocking stuffers at Christmas. It's easier for me in the end. My 100 H.P. Mercury outboard just lit up after 2 yrs. of storage. Started in 10 seconds, ran gangbusters. Todays reformulated (oxygenated) fuels degrade much faster than yesteryears. :cool: