Fuel Stabilizer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Landrus2, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Do you guys use Fuel Stabilizer for winter storage or you drain your equipment dry:waving:

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I add Seafoam to mine and leave the fuel in them....1st of each month I crank everything and let it run for a few minutes.....come mowing season things are ready to roll

wayne

3. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i put fuel stableizer in but then i turn the gas off and run the carbs dry

4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

best thing you could ever do

5. hydro drive

hydro drive LawnSite Member

Seafoam and or stabil works well

I disagree. I would not suggest to run carbs dry. I would leave the fuel in them. The reason being is if you run the crabs "dry" You never get all the gas out. Then the gas that stays left behind can go bad alot easier because it has more moisture to work with inside the carb.

My two cents. Different stroke different folks

6. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

you know hydro drive that makes a lot of sence now that you put it that way. smaller amounts of fuel go bad faster also.:clapping: thank you much

7. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is some info from the Kawi 2008 update book concerning fuel.

Gasoline Basics
    Gasoline is a product of refined crude oil. Gasoline in made of hydrocarbons and carbon compounds. When these compounds react with oxygen, they release energy. The combustion reaction of gasoline produces byproducts which include water along with various pollutants.

Preservatives
    Gasoline is made of unstable organic compounds which deteriorate and change into other compounds over time. OXYGEN is the main cause of gasoline deterioration. Refineries add oxygen inhibitors to the fuel to stabilize it for three months. However, it usually takes that long for fuel to reach consumers.

(Gas is good for 30 days, Would you drink milk that was 30days old? Milk and gas are both organic compounds that change over time.)

Many consumers may not own a sealed gas can or simply don't put the cap back on after fueling. In fact, they may fill their gas can and let it sit for six months.
    3. Now I pull the fuel bowl and also let any remaining fuel evaporate.
    4. Pull the spark plug and then bring the piston to TDC and add a teaspoon of oil to the cylinder and reinstall the plug( this helps keep moisture out of the top end)
    5. Drain oil and add fresh.
    6. Once I feel that the tank and line/carb are all dry I put the bowl back on the carb and reinstall the fuel line to the carb and put the gas cap back on the tank.

My generator has been sitting since Hurricane Wilma 10/2005 and I know that it will start no problem if and when I need it again. No extra work needed besides pulling the plug and pulling through the oil added to the cylinder.

I am sure gas additives work for most people, but I am not sold on them, in my opinion OLD GAS IS OLD GAS!!!!!

8. qwerty

qwerty LawnSite Member

MowerMedic's steps are by the book for long term storage of equipment. I don't know how many LCOs are going to treat every piece with the same care for the winter months, but perhaps they should.

In terms of fuel stabilizers though, there are basically two types:

1. Paraffin based sealers
    2. Chemical based stabilizers

The first is less a stabilizer than it is a tank sealer. The paraffin hydrocarbons congeal at the surface to prevent oxygen from de-stabilizing the gasoline. I am not a fan of this type as it doesn't address any gasoline breakdown already in progress within the fuel and the paraffin can cause as many problems for the carburetor as "gummy" fuel.

The second is a chemical additive that "chemically stabilizes" the fuel at the molecular level. It helps gasoline molecules maintain their bonds in the presence of oxygen and heat. I wouldn't rely soley on them for more than six months or so as water (via condensation) becomes more of an issue, but through the winter months this type of stabilizer works great.

Like GrassCuttinFool, I like to run my equipment for a few minutes periodically just to keep things lubricated and burn out any moisture that has condensed at the bottom of the tank.

9. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a problem with drying out the carbs. The gaskets will crack over time as they shrink from no fuel being on them. Fill the tank full and add stabilizer works for me. And MM, you haven't used your generator since 2005? Lucky you.

10. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

My gen. has a 13 hp GX series Honda so not much to dry out. And yeah I have not run it even with the power outage the other day, my area did not loose power. Been very lucky:)