Fuel Starvation Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by PerennialSuccess, Aug 2, 2006.

1. PerennialSuccess

PerennialSuccess LawnSite Member

Alright guys, here's a problem for you. I have a 2001 Bunton 61" Hydro W/B with a 18hp B/S Vanguard. I had a problem with it stalling last week, and I would let it rest and it would run again for a minute or two and stall again. Well while it was down I changed all the fluids/filters, and cleaned the carb and fuel accelerator (assuming thats what it is, pre-carburetor diaphragm after the fuel filter). Well when it sputters for the 30 seconds before it finally stalls, you can see the fuel filter emptying and thats it. I am thinking either a vacuum problem or maybe fuel tank debris?

P.S. Also, I noticed that after I cleaned/changed everything, it ran for a good hour or so and then I hit some good bumps and all the problems came back again.

Thanks for any help you are able to give me, I really appreciate it.

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Flush your gas tank and fuel lines. You have trash in the gas tank I bet. Had a mower in last week that kept dieing like this and it was a foil top off a can of gas treatment that had fallen in the tank when the treatment was added. It was blocking the fuel hose. I see leaves and grass in fuel tanks all the time.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You may want to check your fuel cap also and make sure it's venting properly.