1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Stations... your own

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by T.E., Dec 25, 2007.

1. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I want to hear from those of you that have your own fuel tanks. The kind that you can keep in your equipment yard. You also see them on farms a lot.

The question I have is how do you get them filled? Also do you get the same price as at the local pump, or is it more expensive?

Thanks, Tony
  2. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Getting them filled is more expensive than going to the cheapest local gas station down here. Second problem is size. 250 gallons is the smallest that most will fill. Larger than 250 gallons requires a permit from the state. The 250 gallon ones you can get away with by having them on a trailer. Stationary ones either have to be double walled and monitored or in a containment area. YMMV depending on the state and county you are in.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

There are a lot of reasons why I've never gotten one, here are some:

- A gallon weighs about 8 pounds, drop 100 gallons in a tank and I ain't moving it without some type of a forklift or a loader. Sure I might get it on the trailer or the back of the truck empty, but it has to come off of there, too.
    - Fuel consistency deteriorates over time, HEAT is a major factor as well, the tank would have be either underground, white or steel color, and sit in the shade.

But more than anything, weight...
    It would have to be on wheels already, they might make some like that, maybe check into some of those field tractor-pulled devices but then I'm not sure on the legalities or road worthiness...

So I just have 3-4 of those 5 gallon cans, and a syphon kit.
    Sometimes I take a few cans with me if I know I'm getting fuel for the truck, other times the Z's dual 6 gallon tanks hold me through, all in all with truck and cars and Z and Wb's and equipment and spare cans I hold dang near 100 gallons anyhow...
    And so I don't think a 100 gallon tank would do much, 250 would save some time on one hand but on the other it would take a trip in itself to go fill it.

Now the Z I'm always stealing gas from it lol but I tell you those side tanks are great for that.

So yeah, spare cans, and a syphon, then fill up once a week or so.

One day I want to hook up a 12v fuel transfer line to the truck, much like those roadside assistance vehicles have, but it's not cheap heh then it throws the mpg tracking off, can't win them all, be even cooler if the Z had one also.
  4. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we have a 750 gallon on-road diesel tank and a 750 gallon off-road tank. We get the off road filled by a oil service and the on-road i believe comes from sunoco or something. It is cheaper then filling up at a fuel station. It is also so very convenient to have your own pump rather then go out of the way every morning to fill your trucks and equipment. All the small trucks have 100 gallon transfer tanks in the back of them too so that is how we fuel our equipment on-site.
  5. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the quick response guys.

Gravelynut: what I'm looking for is smiting around 250 gal. This way I'm not running to the station 2 or 3 times a week. I figured that they would charge for there trouble, and being only a small amount. I also thought about putting one for diesel, and one for gas on their own trailer. Thanks for the help.

Topsites: I have several 5 gallon gas cans now, but it is a pain in the butt to keep them filled.

Dirt digger: I wouldn't need something as large as what you have for your business, but thanks for the info. I certainly keep it in mind.

Later, Tony
  6. I have three tanks one for gas,one onroad diesel and one offroad diesel all are 500 gallon tanks.. I get them filled by a oil service usually a couple of penneys cheaper than pump, not much, I do get a price break for 500 gallons and there is other price breaks for more fuel. It is very handy not having to go to a station every day. Here they will bring you a tank and pump if you are buying from them.
  7. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

check ebay...they have these big wheeled tanks out there that you might want to look at...i don't know if i would ever want to pull one down the road, but the description says DOT compliant...you just need a hazmat endorsement for anything over 150 gallons i believe, it might even be less
  8. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

We have 2 tanks that are 500 gallon. One for diesal and one for reg. We have an off-road diesal tank that is 250 gal. diesal and reg. run about $.20 a gal. higher than the pumps. Off road is a lot cheaper because of no road tax. Convenience is the biggest reason we have them. I have never ever seen anybody get their fuel cheaper than the pumps. When you think about it, it doesn't even make sense. If you think you aren't going through the middle man, you are wrong, because that's what the delivery person is. And I don't see how in the world you can have 1000 gallons of fuel delivered for cheaper than what they deliver 1000's of gallons to the pumps.
  9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I looked into it about 5 yrs ago when I was in a partnership with many more vehicles and equipment. It looked like a good way to go to me but you need to be doing some volume purchasing to make it worth while but here they would give you the tank and seemed like you had to pay a small price for the pump Set up 2-300 bucks. You did have some EPA stuff to deal with but not a huge investment for an above ground tank.

The savings you realize is not really in the fuel but the labor of sending guys to the station to get the fuel which robs your productivity as well as exposes you to more risk doing more driving.

Another alternative is a company that will come to you and fuel all your vehicles from their mobile fuel tanks. Yes you will pay more for the gas but as I mentioned before the real savings is in the labor. Check the yellow pages under fuel supply.

The key is after you go to the grief of getting things set up will your guys go to the job sites without stopping anyway? If they are still stopping for soda and lunches you didn't save anything. So you better have your labor under control and explain to them how it needs to work for it to improve your bottom line.

You are on the right track this is how you bring down costs quickly and easily. Work smarter not harder.
  10. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I carry a 250 liter tidy tank on the deck of the truck, fill it up 3 times a month or whenever I get a pile of work that I need fuel on the job, or just run it into my truck tank for less refills.