Fuel storage?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Novaowner, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Novaowner

Novaowner LawnSite Member

How do you guys store your 5 gallon cans of fuel?...on the trailer? I was thinking of some way to keep the sun off of them with a shelf of some sort.
  2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

i keep mine in my cage on the trailer
  3. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i store them reggas and 2 cycle in the cage, but i can use both in a week, so evaporation is not a concern. if you are storing it longer i would suggest a metal safety can. that way the benzene cannot leach out thru the plastic. (thats what discolors the plastic cans when left full of fuel in the sun)
  4. Novaowner

Novaowner LawnSite Member

Appreciate the responses, I was concerned with storing the containers in the sun all day. I may get a couple of metal cans too. Thanks.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't care for boiling fuel, which is what happens on a sunny day.

I make sure all my equipment is fully fueled the night before (or at least the morning of), the Wb and the Z run all day on a tank easy.
    Those 5g cans stay under the house, in cool shade.
    I don't recall ever running out, but in a pinch I can stop at a gas station with the mowers (and somehow I do recall this part lol).

The 2-cyclers is a bit trickier, my echo lasts around 8-10 yards / tank, but the stihl has such a small fuel tank it hardly goes 4-5, 6 if I really watch it, so I got to fueling up a used quart plastic oil bottle and keep that in my truck box, always full. This isn't the best thing because it always leaks a little when refilling the machine, but it fits inside the truck box nicely.
    The larger 2.5g can also stays under the house, in cool shade.

You don't normally see fuel cans on my outfit, I don't carry them except in fall, I have to carry some with because of the blowers.

I also carry a syphon kit, wouldn't be the first time that the backpack fueled up the edger or some other nonsense when I about ran out of 2-cycle fuel.
    There's almost always a chainsaw and a hedge trimmer in the truck box, both of those usually have some fuel as well, the handheld blower lasts all day usually.

I've been doing it this way for a couple of years now, I never ran completely out of fuel thou a couple of times things got a bit low.