Fuel surcharge Advise

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by leeslawncare, Apr 23, 2006.

1. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, Anyone got a sample letter you sent out stateing your fuel surcharge?I'am gonna hafta work one up ,an just wanted to get some ideas on how to break the news .I'am not gonna use your letter by no means ,just want to get some ideas .Thanks Lee

2. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

I was planning to start a new thread on the same topic... At this point in my area, gas has not yet reached $3.00 per gallon, but it's very close. I expect within the next week or so, for that to happen. I need to enact a fuel surcharge (I just raised my rates, so this is kind of a double whammy). Can anyone provide me a sample of the sliding scale or whatever means you use to handle gas price increases?

Today they announced that fuel may reach $4.00 per gallon by summer's end. Hopefully, that would be temporary... Obviously I need to establish a policy on this. :hammerhead:

Any help or advice on how to break this to my customers would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I wrote right on the contract 3-3.50 1.00 3.51-4.00 2.00 4.00+ 3.50 per cut nobody said a thing.

4. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

That would be nice ..a sliding scale .anyone else have something like that or better?

5. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

heres mine for those who care or need one.

Attached Files:

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

That is a great letter.A letter like that with the spring contracts is perfect.

7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

All of my new contracts have a clause for "extreme shifts" in gas prices may result in a gas surcharge not to exceed 2%. Its not much, but its better than absorbing all the costs myself.

I think that going from 2.40 to 3.00 in a couple of weeks qualifies for extreme shift.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

just tac it on the bill, what, you need to ask permission?

9. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I raised all of my customers from 3 to 6 dollars last mowing season(because of the gas prices). I sent out letters just to let them know that there would be a increase starting the next bill. The way i see it they had two options, either deal with it or find someone else . I didn't lose one customer.

10. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

And some of us wonder why you have so many post's