Fuel Surcharge Letter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HB Lawn, Aug 31, 2005.

1. HB Lawn

HB Lawn LawnSite Member

Instead of rewriting history, I was wondering if anyone would share with me your letter that you sent to your customers? It would help out greatly. My email address is "burroughs@usa2net.net" Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I didnt even bother sending a letter or giving any explanation. Last month I just started putting a fuel surcharge on all invoices. With gas prices as high as they are I think a fuel surcharge should be pretty self explanitory to a client.

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

HB I just wrote mine today. It goes, Due to the consistantly rising fuel prices we can no longer keep our prices at this rate. We have held off raising prices but there seems to be no relief in sight. Our rate increase is only $xyz and is still an outstanding rate. This increase not only covers the cost of fuel used at your property but to and from locations. Should you have any questions please call ### ####. We thank you for your understanding.

4. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I am charging every customer a flat 7.00 per month surcharge starting with the august billing that goes out tomorrow...for now.
    If gas hits 4.00 here permanent increases have to occur. I am not going to lose my business to a natural disaster.
    But, gas prices are nothing compared to our citizens in the gulf.
    I hope things start to happen real quick to help them
    WHAT A MESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Also understand that I run a small crew and the most we have to travel is within 10 miles...I cant imagine what the big guys are doing.
    Looking for the light at the end of the tunnel...

6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good letter. You might change it to Due to the consistently rising fuel prices from the beginning of the mowing season we can no longer keep our prices at this rate. .................

7. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

here it is.

Dear Customer,

By now i know you have felt the blow of the latest fuel price increase.I too also have been hit hard.I hope you understand that i have no choice other than to pass the additional cost on to my customers so that i can continue giving you service.The next time you get charged it will be $5.00 more than usual.Thank you for understanding.

Thank you in advance,
    Evergreen Lawn Care