fuel surcharge problems, anyone

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by General Grounds, Jun 18, 2004.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: well my billing is out almost 10 days now and ive had 2 people feel that my $5.00 surcharge is "excessive" and that im nickel and diming them to death. keep in mind thses are 2 customers who rarely if ever spend any addition money at their home. i was curious if any of you have added a fuel surcharge and if so are you catchin any crap. tony

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

how big is their yard and how far of distance do you have to travel to service it?

3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: tide, im not really sure what the distance is, im not gonna start calculating miles and fuel consumption, it $5.00 a month flat rate. we use approx. 100 gallons a day, @2.03 a gallon where getting creamed at the pump.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

oh, if only $5 a month (not per service) then it sounds like a good price to me

5. cvogtffemt

cvogtffemt LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

There is no way I would be able to get away with that, they would just see it as me ripping them off, giving them a good price, and then adding "hidden charges" to compensate... I dont know...

6. LIBERTY LAWNCARE 2

LIBERTY LAWNCARE 2 LawnSite Member

I surcharged our customers $1.00 per mow for fuel with the exception of a few seniors that are on a fixed income.

No compliants yet.

7. Longstar

Longstar LawnSite Member

I've added a 5% surcharge to the entire monthyl bill. No complaints.

8. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I'm considering adding a surcharge but have hesitated because i doubt that any of my cusotmers would go for that. I'm paying $2.20 a gallon now (it went down .04 the other day) and it's killing me.