Fuel Surcharge ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ky.Smoke, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Ky.Smoke

Ky.Smoke LawnSite Member

I heard today that fuel would be going up over $4.00 maybe due to the pipe line burst in Alaska. Does anyone charge extra when there is a huge increase like this? How much? I know this has been discussed before but I know there is always some indecision. I estimated my cost this year based on fuel going uo th $3.25, but I never figured it would jump all the way to 4 this year. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

If it jumps that high i will add in a surcharge and remove the surcharge if it drops back down. My new accounts i had bid a little higher expecting the gas prices to go up so the news isn't really a big concern for me. For the time being I'm just going to wait and see what happens.

3. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I added one when gas hit $2.00 at the first of last year and made it permanent at the beginning of this year (in my spring letter) and another one when it stabilized again this year at over $2.50 two months ago with another letter in their bill. I adveraged 3.5 % on both bumps.

I explained that, not only did my costs rise for the mowers, but also the truck to get the mowers to their homes, oil, trimmer and edger fuel and anything else refined from crude oil including the tires, etc. I also made them aware that I was absorbing the cost also and would 'share' the burden with them.

4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i added 5% about a month or so ago. so far only 1 complaint out of 300+ customers...

5. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

do any of you guys have any kind of letter for this fuel. I am not the best with grammer and all that and cant write for shyt. If you could please email it to me if you have a minute. Thanks
    info@marinoslawncare.com

6. Ky.Smoke

Ky.Smoke LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I will have to do something if it goes up as of right now it is still $3.09 but the news even said it would be rising.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh how nice, sos oil crap again.

So I go look at this bit of news, now which part should I believe, which bit is important?
    The pipeline produces about 2.6 percent of the nation's daily supply including imports...
    blablabla, ok, so $3.20 x 1.026 = $3.28... right? but wait!
    That is doing things mathematically, do we want that?
    The company made $7.3 billion in profit during the most recent quarter.
    (translation: 81 million a day, profit that is).
    So now $3.20 x (oilmen with phat pockets) = $4.???++++ X (+++++) ^2

And, let's see, who started all this?
    Tests that were ordered by the federal government after a big oil spill last March...

hmmmm, ok, I get it... Must be the late start of the hurricane season, quick, another reason, we need a reason!
    Yup, probably $4 / gallon, well there goes 100 / month for me, oh well.
    I used 92 gallons of fuel last month, guess August's going to get a little bit tight.

8. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

Isn't it wonderful. Just when we thought they had run out of reasons to raise fuel prices.