1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Tags

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by OnMyOwn, Feb 26, 2006.

1. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

Several years ago I purchased some fuel tags from a local hardware store. They no longer stock the items, and I would love to find them again. They are metal tags that can be attached to cans, mowers, trimmers, blowers which say "Fuel", "Mix" or "Diesel".

It sounds pretty silly, but it helps keep the employees from making stupid mistakes.

Where can we find these?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Trimmer trap sell these,we have a local hardware store that has the brass round tags we buy these and engrave them at the shop.
  3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Couldn't you just put some masking tape on whatever you want to label and write whatever you wanted to on the tape? Sounds cheaper... Just an idea.
  4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i just write on the cans with a sharpie
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I use the Red cans for Gasoline. The yellow ones get diesel, The blue ones get kerosen in the winter, and I buy a couple 2.5 gallon red cans and spray paint them white and these get the 50:1 mixed 2 stroke fuel. Keeps everything organized!
  6. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the handy dandy sharpie marker......:clapping:
  7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I went to the office supply store and bought a package of tags with a string through a hole in the tag. The tags are heavy manila with a reinforced hole.

I'm small, do all the maintenance work myself. So, any mistake made will be MY mistake! I merely write on the tag the mix ratio with a Sharpie. I don't have many cans, but a couple of different mixes. If the tag gets ratty after a half season, I merely replace it (box came with 100 tags--I'll expire before I use them all).

I tried tape, but it won't stick well. I don't want to permamently mark the can because I may wish to change how I use the cans. The label, with string tied on the handle, makes the changes easier. I don't make changes during the season -- too easy to wrongly assume by shape of the can!
  8. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

OSHA likes to see approved containers in different colors for different fuel types.

9. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

f uck a bunch of osha
  10. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I just use different size and color cans for each different fuel. diesel goes in the blue 5 gallon can, regular gas in the red 5 gallon, mixed in the 2.5 and 1 gallon red ones.