1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Tank issue on (2) Ferris IS3000Z

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by carcrz, Oct 3, 2009.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Both mowers started doing the same thing at almost the same time this year. They will run on the left tank (the one w/ a reserve) and, after using about 1/2 a gallon of gas, I have to switch to the right tank because it won't take any more fuel from the left side. Any ideas what could be the issue or how to correct it? I haven't ever messed w/ the fuel tanks on these mowers before so I don't have a clue what's going on.

23 Kawasaki/61" deck on both mowers if it matters. ~1000 hours. New fuel filters.
  2. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Fuel pickup tubes are broken. There is one in each tank. Pull the fittings out for inspection. Try and pull the grommet out with the fitting

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

Snapper and bob-cat use a better fuel pick-up tube that fits in the grommet. may have to cut to fit.

The Ferris that I've seen had a hose and tiny clamp inside the tank. Very poor system. Get a shrink-fit molded pick-up tube to solve that problem.
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Care to elaborate on 'shrink-fit molded pick-up tube' design? Maybe a pic of it? I can just picture the look on the kid's face when I tell him that.

I guess the next step would be to start pulling stuff & swap it out. I'd just like to have the parts already