Fuel Tank Leakage

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Larry Davis, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

To: mowerconsultant,
    Just used my new Super Z for the first time 2 days ago. Very pleased overall with its performance. However, I did experience one problem. As I am sure you are aware, under deck scraping is a fact of life with any mower. I have always used a "Jungle Jack" to raise the deck for this chore and for blade changes. Immediately on lifting the deck fuel spilled out of both tank caps. One tank was almost full and the other was about 2/3 full. Since your tank caps are located on the rear of the tanks instead of the front, am I always going to have fuel spillage every time I raise the deck for servicing? Unless, of course, both tanks are near empty?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Depends on how far back your tilting the unit.
    The tank caps are internally vented, so they do "breathe" through the caps.

3. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

mowerconsultant,
    Are you personally familiar with the "Jungle Jack"? For at least the last four years it is one of the most popular tools for lifting decks on ZTR's for scraping and blade changes. There is no adjustment in the jack to change the degree of lift. It raises the front of all ZTR's the same amount. Are you basically saying that your engineers who designed these fuel tanks and placed the fuel caps on the back of the tanks did not take into consideration the fact that the front end would frequently be lifted to access the underdeck? If the degree that a Jungle Jack lifts the front end causes substantial fuel spill then, it is certainly possible this fuel spill is also taking place when mowing certain slopes. I believe this is a SERIOUS safety issue that should be followed up.

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I did forget to mention in my previous post, that you need to have your dealer take a look at the unit and he will likely replace the caps also.

Pj