Fuel Tank Locations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nelbuts, Apr 10, 2003.

1. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Is it me or what? I just don't like the locations of the fuel tanks on the new ZTR mowers. Many of them are now split tanks on the sides, riding up higher than the seat bottom. Well I like to swing my big old butt off the uphill side on some inclines to improve traction to the uphill traction tire. But with these new seats you just can not do that anymore. I like them under the seat or at least even with the seat. I realize that the seat is now lower but it does not compensate for the difference in weight that can be shifted. I know as I have tested this with two of my mowers. Also, you have to flip a switch now between left or right tank and could run out of fuel at an inoportune time. What do you think?:rolleyes:

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what ZTR's your used to, buy I'd say that 99% of them have the twin saddle tanks over each rear tire.

If your leaning on a ZTR to make it more stable on a hill, then you shouldn't be on that hill! ZTR's are like spiders on most hills. If your having problems with the upper tire lifting, your in a bit more than you should be!

What mowers are you talking about?

3. nelbuts

from SW, FL

TLS.
    Maybe it is an age thing. I have a Scag Turf Tiger with the tank under the seat. Have had Wheel Horse's about 17 years ago tank even with seat. Many Scag ZTR's with tank under the seat. JD's F935 use to be even with seat. You shift your weight not to keep from flipping but to equalize the weight shift to the up hill wheel. This keeps it from spinning or slipping a little which can damage turf. The traction tire is the REAR ONE not the front tire. Further more when you shift your weight you actual end up sitting straighter which honestly I like better than leaning.

As far as 99% having the saddle tanks that is true. That is what I meant by my post! By the way the first mower that I saw to have those twin tanks set up like that was Encore. I was a dealer and would not take those on as a line because of that. BTW is all the Grasshoppers and Walkers twin tanks?

Now I must say I do not have much experience on these mowers. I have only been using them for 18 years.:D

4. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably the reason the tanks are higher than the seat is because newer machines try to get the lowest center of gravity point so the machine is less likely to rool or flip. Therefore, the tanks SEEM higher, but really arent.
    My Encore Pro Line has dual tanks also, but u only have to fill one up because the gas line is wide enough to fill the other one up at the same time.

5. nelbuts

from SW, FL

That is EXACTLY what I mean. If the tank was lower under the seat like many use to be and the rider sat at the same height then the weight would be lower. The intersting thing here is cost. The tanks are injection moulded which means they are cheap. Maybe around $2.00 each! Now by forming them to also be the fenders they have reduced the amount of steel and welds. Thereby reducing the cost of production. Plus the fact that it does result in a little better looks.

6. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

OK... thought from a rookie here.... I like the idea that the tanks feed seperately and I gotta turn the valve to switch (I could install a tee to change this... wouldn't be difficult swap)
    I always make it a point to switch tanks periodically and when one runs out I fill it immediately..... But at least it's only one that runs out.. I always will have at least a small amount left in the other one as a reserve....... even if it's only a small amount, at least I don't have to walk back to the truck and then re-fuel in the lawn (looks un-professional and risks a spill on the lawn)
    Just my thoughts.........

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

For all you twin tank guys with a fuel line connecting both at all times (without a selector valve).

Fill both tanks full.

Park mower on a side hill slope.

And watch your lower tank gas cap bubble out with gas and leak all down the side of the mower!!!

Had this on the Dixie, and hated it! Not to mention, I only had twin 3 gal tanks on it, so filling it was a regular occurance.

I like split tanks seperated by a selector valve like my Lazer.

Also, they couldn't mount my fuel under my seat. Not enough room under there! Don't know what SCAG does with all the stuff that my Lazer has under the seat.

Now my old Dixie is another story. You could have put a 5 gallon tank under the seat no problem. Heck, they had that unnecessarily large hydro tank under there and that held a few gallons!

8. nelbuts

from SW, FL

Hey TLS, the fuel tank on the Dixi use to be under the seat years ago. You filled from the side but it was under the seat. The Toro Wheelhorse Z back then were made by Dixi. Get this I am talking about the old chaindrive units!

9. Wayward

Wayward LawnSite Member

FWIW My Grasshopper (2002) mid mount has a single ten gallon tank under the seat.