fuel tank on trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stonewall, Dec 19, 2000.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to install a 15-20 gallon fuel tank on my trailer to clear out 3-4 gas cans on the trailer. Any suggestions?

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

be careful with fuel tanks,I m not sure of this but i think any tank over 7.5 gallons is considered bulk, which brings the DOT and shipping papers into the deal.Im not sure its worth it if thats the case,if not go ahead.I am going to put a t-valve and a fuel pump jumper switch in the bed of my 89 GMC over the winter,so i can draw off its 35 gallon tank.This will make fuel stops for the small tanked dixie chopper a thing of the past,ill fill it right from the truck,which hold enough fuel to refill it 4 times and still go a week.Ill be able to use it in winter to fill the engine on the v-box spreader and fill truck,come home and fill all my snowmobiles without having to lift,or strap 4 5 gallon cans.The EFI pump in the tank will pump all the fuel thru the t and shut off when open,so this should work for me,I try it and report.

3. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

I'll check on the DOT regulations. I would try your idea of pumping out of your truck's tank, but I have a diesel truck and gas-burning mower.

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I'm considering buying a cube van and I was thinking about the fuel thing too. I was thinking of going to an auto wrecker yard and buying a used fuel tank that would bolt on under the box side. After I get the van saftied of course.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have the opposite problem, I have a gas truck and a diesel mower. Want to trade trucks? Actually, I only fill up my diesel every 2 days, so that's not a problem. Maybe I'll try you idea John. I have 2 tanks on the truck.

6. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Those of you with diesel mowers. Why don't you have a tank at the house? A lot cheaper than filling up at the gas station.

7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

A gasoline tank at the house in most cases would require permitting from the State. Heating oil tanks are exempt, but gas isn't. In addition if it were to be underground $$$ leak detection equipment is necessary. Probably less of a hassle to just got to the gas station. They are everywhere these days. ;)

I'm gonna p you off yet Cutter! :) P.S. We only got an inch out of that! Send us more!!!

[Edited by Scraper on 12-20-2000 at 01:44 PM]

8. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I know a guy who runs home heating fuel in his truck. This is his second brand new one and he hasn't had a problem with either one of them. He changes the filter a little more often but the savings is worth it. What do you guys think about that, other than the legalities of it.

9. Redmowers

Redmowers LawnSite Member

Just don't get stopped in a DOT checkpoint with red heating fuel in your truck.They are color coded red is home heating ,gold is diesel fuel. It has to do with highway taxes that you pay for when you buy diesel fuel at the pump.I believe there are fines for this if caught,mostly for over the road long haul truckers.May save a few bucks as long as you don't go where the checkpoints are.

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Tap into your trucks fuel tank. The tank on my Dodge has a tap from the factory all I need to do is hook up hose, route it and connect a hand pump.