Fuel tank switch

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by jimmyj810, Jul 16, 2004.

1. jimmyj810

jimmyj810 LawnSite Member

I have a new Hustler Z. There is a little valve with a red plastic handle mounted between the seat and the right hand fuel tank. Both rubber fuel lines run to it. Presently the handle is pointing toward the front of the mower and the mower seems to be operating off of the the right fuel tank. I moved the handle 180 degrees to see if it would operate on the other tank and it seemed to run out of gas and die. I moved it back to it's original position and it started and ran OK. Is this the tank swap valve and did I do something wrong? Could I have a bad valve?

2. supermini z

supermini z LawnSite Member

You have a bad valve. I have a super mini z with the same valve. It is suppose to be whatever side you point it to it is suppose to run off that tank. I will run let's say the right tank then when it runs completely out I will switch it to the left side then when I put it into the shed for the night I will put it in the middle position and it will cut off both tanks it will run out of gas and die on it's own. call your dealer.

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I doubt you have a bad valve, but anything is possible.
    You are correct in its positioning for each tank.
    You need to check at the bottom of your tank where the fuel line exits the tank, there may be another valve that you need to open.
    There were some units that have valves at the bottom of the tank and behind the seat.
    Just open up the valves on the bottom of the tanks if they are there. (these valves are a knob that you turn to open, they take several turns to open all the way)
    The valves on the bottom of the tank are what we used to use to shut the tanks off.
    If there are no valves at the bottom of the tank then there is either no fuel in that tank or an obstruction somewhere.
    Let me know what you find.
    Hope this helps
    Pj

4. jimmyj810

jimmyj810 LawnSite Member

You are right. There is a small shut off valve where each fuel line comes out of the tanks. The left tank valve was closed. I opened it and everything is fine. Thanks for the info.

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

No problem.
    Glad I could help.

Pj