Fuel Tanks on 2005 Super Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by fatdog47, Sep 28, 2005.

1. fatdog47

fatdog47 LawnSite Member

Was curious if anyone else has noticed that their fuel tanks on their Z's appear to be buckling just below the top mounting bolt near the fuel level indicators? Talked with my dealer and he said that he had no problems with any of them yet. Please advise. THANXZ!!! :dizzy:

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Buckling?
    Please explain? or post or e-mail me a pic.

Pj

3. fatdog47

fatdog47 LawnSite Member

Between the front top and bottom mounting bolts on both fuel tanks, there is an approximate 3/8" gap at the widest point at the center of the fuel indicator on both tanks. The total length of the gap is approximately 4-1/2" long, which makes it appear that the tanks are trying to buckle. I was just curious if this was normal for the new-style tanks.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Pics?
    Please show me, so I can show our guys back at the factory.
    Just e-mail or post the pics please.
    Then we can find out what is going on.

Pj

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

mine have done it also. just thought they warped a little. Had the mower since May with no problems

6. wig

wig LawnSite Member

I have a new Super Z purchased 2nd week July with the new fuel tanks. My tanks are doing the same as mentioned. It seems like they are warping in slightly just to the inside of the sight fuel gauge.

I only have 30 hrs now and had to replace the right rear wheel motor at 20 hrs. It was leaking fluid out the seal pretty bad. Hustler overnighted a new motor to my dealer and was up and running the next day.

Presently when switching the fuel valve from my left to right tank the engine will die within a minute. Turn the valve back to the left tank and it cranks and runs fine. It is either a faulty valve or something plugging the line.
    No problem running on one tank but would like to get at the other 6.5 gals in the right tank.

Also I have noticed a loud whining sound when operating the hydraulics at low creeping speeds, increase the flow of fluid to the wheel motors and the whining sound goes away. Has anybody else noticed this or is it just me? Is the a normal sound? It has been my experience when operating other hydraulic equipment a whining sound usually means a plugged filter. I can't see this at 30 hrs.

Other than that I love my new machine. Just deed to get all of these problems worked out before the warranty expires.

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Your fuel line is off inside the tank, take the unit to your dealer he will get it taken care of.
    As far as the hydros whining, you need to run the unit at full speed, if your running it any lower, the input speed on the hydros is to low, and you will get whining.

Pj

8. chuckricker

chuckricker LawnSite Member
    from geo. de

Mine are also bowing, warping, bending what ever word you wish to use both of mine are doing the limbo. Mine was produced 5/14/05 and I am just at 50 hrs. and when you look at the nice new fuel sight strip you can see that it is pulling away from the tank support framing. No leaks yet but how far can it bow before leaking? I thought the plastics must have a little different compound causing contraction rates to differ. Talked to dealer mine is the first.

9. mike28nc

mike28nc LawnSite Member

can someone place picture of the tank?