Fuel Tanks

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Gizmo_019, May 28, 2006.

1. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

The other day I filled the tanks up full before going to mow. I was on a job, on a hill, with no trees, it was 92 degrees. I filled them up to about an inch below the neck. About 1 o'clock, I started to smell gas, I turned around and the tank I wasn't using was spewing gas out. You could see the tanks literally "breathing". Those black tanks get really hot. Just going to let everyone know as summer gets here you can't fill them all the way up if there is no shade where you are going to be mowing.

2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

sometimes the breather has no choice but to let excess pressure from the heat to piss a little bit of fuel out of the breather holes. Happens to us all the times no biggie

3. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

After I fill up, I run one tank for 15 - 30 minutes then switch to the other. That pretty much eliminates leaking on hills and slopes.

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

My '04 SuperZ did this terribly. It had the caps that are about as wide as a tennis ball. My '05 with these larger tanks has the caps about the width of a softball. I could turn the machine upside-down and I don't think they'd leak.