Fuel Tanks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GLS, Nov 24, 2001.

1. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone use those tanks that go in the bed of your truck with an electric pump to fill up equipment? If so, how much do they cost and are they worth it?

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

As long as you use them for diesel they are great, most are not rated for gas.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

there are thousands of those things in use down here so that leads me to believe they must work well.

GEO

4. Matthew Morgan

Matthew Morgan LawnSite Member

I have had a 100 gallon fuel cell with an electric pump in my truck for 5 years. It is great! I take care of a lot of larger properties and the tanks on my "Z"'s won't hold a days worth. You have gasoline with you everywhere you go.

There is no stopping at a gas station for fuel, wasting valuable time and labor costs. It is also handy when you need to mix your oil/gas tanks for hand held equipment. You only have to fill/mix when needed, not stopping during the day or mixing an "almost emply" container and ending up with wrong proportions of gas/oil.

Price varies greatly for the tank. You can get steel, aluminum or one like mine that is a steel tank with a diamond tread alluminum shell for looks.

Be sure to check local laws before purchasing. Depending on where you are, you may have to placard your vehicle or even have a haz.mat. endorsed CDL. In Illinois carrying over 110 gallons requires this. As I said before, mine is "L" shaped and is 100 gallons.

Do it! You will love it.:p

Matthew

5. Andrew Hardscape

Andrew Hardscape LawnSite Member

We wouldn't be without our fuel cell!

We don't do maintenance anymore, we do installs. But when we did maintenance our equipment were all diesels (except walk behinds).

The fuel cell really saves a lot of time, and is added convience.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have a 30gal. auxillary gas tank that I mounted on top of an elevated tool cage on my trailer. The cage is mounted at the front of the trailer, high enough so you can still get the front of a ztr under it. On top of this cage, I mounted a 30 gal. aux. gas tank originally built to fit under the bed of a GM pickup. This puts the bottom of the tank at about 6' off the ground. I added a fuel hose, nozzle, and filter and can fuel by gravity flow. No pump is needed. This was cheap, is safe, (no electric to make a spark), and has been really handy. No more plastic gas cans bouncing around in the truck bed.:D

7. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawngodfather:
    If you only type in FUEL TANK in a search, it aint gonna come up with what i'm lookin for...it comes up with fuel tanks for mowers etc.

8. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Like Matt said, check with local regs on how much you can carry, insurance coverage etc.

Also, I'd stay away from the do it yourself models. I've seen some built better than the bought ones, but I have also seen some that shouldn't be driving in the same city as me! :eek:

I once had a link to a company that made a split tank for construction crew's (diamond tread with electric pumps) It was split 65% capacity and 35% capacity. On most construction and install set ups you'd see the larger size used for diesel. Also, it was an idea for maintenance crews with gas only equipment to use one section for gas and one for 2 cycle mix.

It is a great time saver in my opinion. I'm spoiled now in the AF because all I have to do is call the base Supply Squad and they'll send a fuel truck out if we have 2 or more pieces of equipment working continuosly on one site.