Fuel tax you might get money back

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, Feb 20, 2008.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

ok full service is higher than self so thats why he had a higher margin, im sure it varies around here you can spit and hit a station

2. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

I'm lost about all this tax stuff.

When I file taxes I turn in my mileage and receipts for gas for equipment. Are yall saying now we should keep the receipts for the fuel we use in the trucks and turn them in as well?

Meaning we would get so much per gallon on the mileage and so much for this fuel tax thing? Also did this just start this year?

3. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Jason, when you buy fuel it has a percent per gallon that is road use tax. Its the tax that the feds and states use to repair and build our highways. If you put the fuel in a tractor, mower, sprayer or other business use that is "off road" than you need not pay the "road tax" for that gallon of fuel. You can file if you keep separate fuel receipts for your trucks and equipment and get this money back.

4. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

Oh. So, is this something new for this year? I just filed and my cpa never said a word about it. So that I get this right I can now have 2 deductions? Equipment fuel (off road tax) and now I can turn in fuel receipts for my truck (road tax) and get that back.

5. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

No you dont get two deductions
    1)you get a deduction for fuel lets say you pay $3.00 per gallon

2) of that $3.00 per gallon depending on state lets say $.20 cents is onroad tax paid at the pump within the $3.00

3) you fill out your state form as i mentioned to get that $.20 cents back because you used it off road. You already paid it when you purchased your gas, however you are entitled to get it back because you are using it off road.

4) so last year lets say you had 1000 gallons off road use at .20 back $200.00 but is now considered income so you are taxed on the $200.00 but you still are ahead of the game.

5) You need to track so if you didnt last year do it this year

6. Jaon t

Jaon t LawnSite Member

In Nebraska you can go back up to three years. But the rebate table changes every six months, so you have t fill out the form seperately. It is well worth the time, I just received a check for a bit under $5k.

Keep those receipts and seperate fuel for truck vs. mowers and other equipment.