fuel tax

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by 2 clowns mowing, Feb 6, 2008.

  1. 2 clowns mowing

    2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 566

    i heard today that i can get a return of 43 cents per gallon on gas not used on the road. has anyone filed for this?
  2. mcduff48

    mcduff48 LawnSite Member
    Posts: 96

    Can you document the exact usage of all of the gasoline that you purchased during the year? Unless your vehicles are diesel that will be hard to prove you know. IMO this could open you up to a lenghty audit. If you used 1000 gal. of gas the refund would only be $430.00 ......is the audit worth that? ...Just my opinion:hammerhead:
  3. bohiaa

    bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 5,220


    Yes I do it all the time......

    I jsut threw away the form.... I had an extra one..... Was gonna look at it and tell you what form # it was.....

    its not uncommon to do it this way, and NO it's NOT a red flag for an audit.

    I would guess that this guy had NEVER donated anything to Good will....

    If he had he would have NOT said such a thing and he would know what I'm talking about........

  4. mcduff48

    mcduff48 LawnSite Member
    Posts: 96

    Perhaps the state of Maryland is a bit more anal than Texas....probably because of all the politicians in the area being next door to DC but honestly, you don't play around with deductions around here. Thanks for the comments though.:usflag:
  5. 2 clowns mowing

    2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 566

    i heard back from my accountant they said it was true and i could claim back to when i started my business.
  6. columbia

    columbia LawnSite Member
    Posts: 76

    Anybody know what this form is? Id like to do this...
  7. jimslawns

    jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 283

    The form varies state to state. If your state has a web page look for the form under off road fuels.

    I turn in my annually, I have the fuel company deliver fuel to a 150 gal tank at the house and use it to fill the mowers. When they bring the reciept for the fuel it designates all of the fuel taxes so it is easier to fill out the form. I think it is required that you file for the rebate within 365 days of fuel purchase.
  8. columbia

    columbia LawnSite Member
    Posts: 76

  9. AI Inc

    AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 25,527

    I never worried about in the past as my ditch witches only use about 3 gallons a day. With prices what thjey are I suppose it can add up.
  10. columbia

    columbia LawnSite Member
    Posts: 76

    well if you look at the website it shows the gas tax refund for the off-highway business is about $.18 per gallon, not huge but It would help a little. If say you used 3 gallons per day times about 260 days...(workable m-f days) that would be 780 gallons and a return of $140. For 780 gallons it probably would have costed about $2200 so not a huge saving but may be worth it.

    Jimslawns: Is there a state gas tax as well? I just found the federal one which is about $.18 per gallon...near as I can tell.

Share This Page