fuel transfer tank GASOLINE?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ColePyck, Mar 13, 2007.

1. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Looking to purchase a fuel transfer tank for back of pickup. I need it to carry gas but everything I have found online says for combustible fuels only(diesel) not flammable. Does anyone carry gasoline in these tanks anyway? Any problems or will I just have to be extra careful if I use a tank for gas...thanks

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I cannot see, and never have been able to see why anyone would ever have the slightest notion or desire to carry around that much gasoline - especially in one container. Separate cans is one thing, but cans for the trailers, and transfer tanks for trucks are just unnecessary and highly hazardous.

3. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

ive seen one in a Northern Magazine, you might check there

4. gavinslawncare

gavinslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 50 gallon tank on my trailer its great and never any problem but have 2 fire extighers in case though

5. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry Gavin, in mho if those 50 gallons of gasoline ever ignite, two extinguishers won't be of much use. You're going to need two fire trucks and a lot of luck.

6. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

i was just about to say that!! i can see why someone would want to carry extra fuel with them. i wouldnt want to be worried of getting in an accident. unless your out somewhere were theres a station 30 minutes away, but in that case, just make sure your filled up before you go out there.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There are also regulations concerning how much gas you are allowed to carry. You may need a special permit to carry anything besides gas cans. Check with your local officials before attempting something that could cost thousands if done wrong.

8. Pennings Gardens

Pennings Gardens LawnSite Member

I just came from a DOT seminar and in NY you can carry a max of 8 gallon per container and a total of 400 pound combined in gas. (this does not include the gas in the truck or in the tank of the mower.) I think 400 pounds of gas is a ridicules amount of fuel to be carried by anybody.....
    And even with carrying ANY amount of gas to use for commerce you need to get a special Haz Mat exemption endorsement. (not a haz mat license, just a endorsement and is very simple and inexpensive to get)

How ever I don't know about your local laws

9. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Just a update. I talked to Ray @ http://www.jmesales.com/ from what I was told the construction of Diesel transfer tanks(combustible) and gasoline transfer tank(flammable) are identical. The only difference is right now there is only one company who makes the gasoline tanks and they are DOT approved. He made it sound like more companies dont make theres DOT for gasoline because of the liability involved. If you use common sense you can use these any transfer tank for gas. I also priced out the gasoline transfer and they were double the price about 1300 dollars for 100 gallon with 12v pump plus freight......

10. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Ohio

The DOT would have a field day if they stop you for having gas in a transfer tank, as you said in your post they are not approved for combustible fuels.

Why do you need to keep that much fuel on board??

We use to have both gas & Diesel storages tank at our shop. Both were above ground tanks. We stopped using the gas tank, because in the summer with the heat we would lose a large amount due to evaporation. I would believe you would have the same problem with a transfer tank.