1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Transfer Tank

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brentsawyer, Feb 6, 2003.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I am thinking about adding a fuel transfer tank on my F-350 flatbed for the use of filling up mowers and 5 gal mixed gas tanks. I have seen the ones on northern tool and was wondering if that was the best way to go, or are their other options, practicalities that are better. Also, does anyone here have something like this setup and what time savings does it provide.

Last year, I was at the gas station daily filling up the 10gal TT and everyother day filling 5gal mixed gas. Real pain, especially in mid day, so what size would you consider, the F-350 is diesel so it dosen't need filling but 1-2 week.
  2. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

I run a 50 gallon fuel transfer tank in theback of my truck.

It's great you fill it up maybe once a month. I think it's worth.

You can buy the tanks at a tractor supply store or co-op. Shiping will be a killer. why buy a tank for 250 then pay 80-100 shipping. save that money.

Well worth it.
  3. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

do a search on the topic. I remember one post with a lot of different ideas on fuel transfer systems from about 2 yrs ago.

things like using your auxiliary tank on your truck and stuff like that.
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I bought two, 50 gal. tanks and put one on each of my trucks. It sure is handy. Tractor Supply has several sizes and shapes to pick from. Also, their prices are very good and you would not have a lot of shipping cost like you would with Northern Tractor supply has quite a few locations listed in Ky., but my old listing does not show one in your town. Try their website at www.tractorsupplyco.com.:)
  5. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

Does anybody think about the D.O.T regulation for hauling gasoline around. Most manufactures will not garuntee them with gas only with diesel. Just something you might want to look into.

6. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Just talked with DOT and explained what I want to do, they said that it is ok as long as in approved container. Mowingman, just went to TSC next town over and didn't see anything in stock but will look on site.
  7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

we use a multi compartment one on the super lawn truck, and it is wonderful. we have one without it, and it is sorely missed. at 2500 bucks, we could buy 3 units that would go in the back of a truck, but would not pass DOT for an underbody unit. I'd get the biggest one you could afford with a built in tool box. I'd stay away from those plastic refil stations on wheels with 14 gallons of capacity.

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Our Tractor Supply has about 6 different sizes and styles in stock. I don't have their new catalog, but their 2001 catalog lists 10 different tanks . I use hand pumps, as they are cheaper than 12 volt electric. Also,I do not want to have electrical equipment around gasoline and diesel fuel. :)