Fuel transfer tanks & tool boxes

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Hummer, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Hummer

Hummer LawnSite Member

I've been trying to decide on a fuel transfer tank & tool box to mount on a F450 with a flat bed. The tank would not be connected to the fuel system of the truck, but would be used to refuel other equipment in the field. There is a GN hitch on the flat bed too and the truck is a crew cab.

I can't decide if I want to go with a standard rectangular shaped tank (that basically sits on it's edge) mounted on the forward end of the bed and then a tool box mounted separately just aft of the tank, or an 'L' shaped tank with a tool box that mounts on top the lower section of the 'L' tank.

I'd like to get a 100 gallon (or close to it) tank.

What are the pro's & con's of the combination 'L' shaped tank & tool box versus the stand alone tank & tool box mounted separately?

I know I don't want anything sitting too close to the GN hitch area and I don't think the height of the tank will be a concern since the truck is a crew cab and I won't be able to see the GN hitch anyway.

What are some brands of tanks and tool boxes that I should be looking at? I'm aware of TransferFlow, Delta, RDS and Weatherguard. Any others?

What's the story on what Transferflow says about new DOT regulations stating that the fuel transfer pump and nozzle cannot be sitting any higher than the hightest portion of the tank? Am I going to get busted if I install a new or used tank that has the pump & nozzle sitting above the tank?

Are the little tabs that the tank manufacturers put on the tanks actually strong enough to hold a tank full of fuel in place if you get in an accident? Like say a head on collision or a rollover?

BTW: I don't like the Aluminum diamond plate tanks and tool boxes. Way to flashy for me, I want a tank & tool box made out of steel.

I'd love to see any pictures that people have of tanks and tool boxes mounted on the front end of flat beds if you have them.

Thanks!

2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Here are a couple of options that I found for you. I know it has been a while since you posted this, but I see noone responded and I just saw the post.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200306729_200306729

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200306753_200306753

I know you said you did not want Diamond plate, but it is actually the best, because it will not rust. I have known several people that have used steel tanks and the moisture that builds up in the tanks causes them to rust quickly.

I have seen other Lshaped tank/tool box combos that have the pump on top and the box and everything all built together. IF you could find one like that, it would suit you well.

3. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

The truck I'm selling (in my signature) had a 100 gallon rectangular tank mounted on it. There's really no advantage to the rectangular versus the L shaped, the L on a flatbed serves no purpose and looks really stupid. The advantage the L has in a pickup is that you can throw a tool chest on top of the L to save space in the bed. If you did this with a flatbed, you'd have to scramble up there to get into the box. So, having the L wouldn't do you any good with a flatbed. What we did was get a rectangular tank, mount it centered left to right with enough room between the headboard and the tank so you could throw a couple shovels in there. Then get some 36" or 48" barn door side boxes and you're set, that would be the ultimate truck. We never got the tool boxes, I had 2 under body boxes that suited my needs.

As far as tanks, Weatherguard is great stuff. Our tank was steel, I figured aluminum was the way to go, but we bought it from a friend who is in the fuel business and he uses a steel tank in his pickup. Couldn't argue with that. The white steel looks very low key and not flashy, I agree with you there. As for pumps being up high, I think that's BS, that's the only way they're mounted. When you get a pump, get a Fil-Rite and buy a heavy duty one. Ours was a 15GPM heavy duty model, there are cheaper pumps, but they just don't last. Hope that helped a little.

5. jd270

jd270 LawnSite Member

we have 3 tanks 2 steel and one aluminum i like the aluminum the best we have 2 of the 15 gpm fil-rite pumps and 1 of the 18 gpm ones with 1 inch hose it will really pump the fuel works well on our big equipment with over 200 gallon tanks