Fuel usage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsr2741, Apr 26, 2004.

1. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

This is for those of you who have both gas and diesel mowers. On a percentage, how much less fuel does the diesel use compared to the gas annually.

Reason I ask this is my buddy just bought a Gravely 260z with the diahatsu diesel. I told him with no more work than he does how can he justify spending an extra 1k or so over a gas powered mower. His response, "diesels cheaper."

I tried explaining to him his .15 per gallon savings is going to take a long time to make back the extra $1000 he spent for the diesel but he just said he'd done his homework. Go figure.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have both...

1. The diesel will last many more hours.
    2. Diesel probably burns comparably 25 - 50% less per hour.
    3. Diesel fuel is cheaper...wait till you see that this Summer coming.
    4. I will buy diesel whenever I can...wish WB's came that way.
  3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Steve.. I don't know actual numbers but I bet the diesel would go twice as long on a tank of fuel. So not only will he save per gallon but on useage too. Plus the diesel motor will last longer.
  4. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks fellas. What I'm trying to do is convince him to change his order to gas. Reason, he's not busy enough (5 accounts) to justify the diesel and it won't be running long periods of time at any one property. He's hoping to land some sub work for chem-lawn, he's already went and bid some of the properties (biggest 1 acre) they have under contract with their fertilizer programs.

I guess it's his money, he can do with it what he wants.
  5. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

My buddy runs walkers on his crew and he said the disels run alot longer on a smaller tank of fuel than any of his gas ones. I want diesel everything but alas i am only mid totem pole and i have only limtied say and the money out talks me. :(
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

He HAS done his homework. The justification is irrelevant anyways because it doesn't sound like he has enough work to justify a ZTR purchase in the first place. My guess is he's looking at the long term. Plus he's probably financing anyways... so what's the difference in payment for another $1,000? If he get's enough work, he can pay the little extra on the payment with the fuel savings.

And let's face it, diesels are the better option for all of us.....

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I asked this a few weeks ago and was refered to the Exmark forum. "ZTR, Gas vs Diesel". At Exmark they say that the EFI and the Diesel run about the same per hour in usage. I'm sure the diesel will last a lot longer. My concern would be if the motor would out last the rest of the mower?
  8. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

Theres always re-sale value to consider too... Diesels are more in demand.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I doubt the EFI would be all that close. Maybe the Briggs diesels use more fuel than say a Kubota engine? If taken care of the diesel engine would probably out last the power frame. That's not the point though......
  10. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i gety non-taxed diesel so i save a ton of money its something to think about if u have a spot out of city limits to put a tank